Answered

Help with Multiple HDMI sources to Projector - How to get audio to the Arc?

• 22 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Sonos Purchase - ETA late Dec/early Jan - "5.1.2 Surround Set (2 x One) with ARC + Sub (Gen3)"

Projector: Optoma GT1090HDR with HDMI Inputs - 1 x v2.0 4K, 1 x 1.4  

Sound Output from Projector - L/R (Red/White) RCA jacks only - I would think I do not want to use these.

Various devices for Source:

-Sony 3D Blueray Player - BDP-S5200 - hdmi output with "orange" Digital Out Coaxial

-Apple 4K TV - hdmi output only - Bluetooth for audio??

-Roku Ultra - hdmi output only - not sure if options for other audio.

-Dish Network Joey - hdmi output - L/R RCA Jacks and Optical

-PC with RTX 2080ti - hdmi output - optical from Motherboard

-PC with RTX 3080ti - hdmi output - sound card orange/black/green 3.5mm jacks

I'm assuming, 99% sure, all of the sources above I can get my audio via hdmi.

What kind of hub do I need, for the 6 different sources, to extract the audio from the hdmi signal, sending the video to the projector, and then sending the audio out (via optical?) to the ARC?  I know nothing about Bluetooth.  Is there a hub that extracts audio from the hdmi signal/source, and transmits to the ARC?  Will optical/spdif give me signal needed to give me the surround?

Even if the "device" to get audio to the ARC only accepted 1 hdmi input, as obviously only going to be using 1 source at a time, that would be fine.

I see in another post, a Pass Through device. VAX0401, but I can't seem to find in the U.S.  I live in Arizona.  Is that what I'm looking for? A passthrough device with audio out?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R6HCGVV/ref=emc_b_5_t

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thank you :-)

Edit: - Hmmm.  After doing a bunch more quick reading, it seems “splitting” the sound off of hdmi will create a delay in the audio, as some call “lip sync issues”.  That makes sense.  After thinking about this some more, it seems the video and audio must come simultaneously from the source to the receiving devices (video/audio) to eliminate video/audio signal delay.  Is that correct?

icon

Best answer by John B 22 November 2021, 09:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Any HDMI switch, that handles the necessary HDMI version 1.4 or above, connected to an HD Fury would work. The audio is split out to eARC by the Arcana, and you simply send the video signal to your projector and the audio signal to the Arc.

There are many posts about similar set ups in the Home Theater section of the forum, I would recommend doing some reading in that area. I’d also suggest looking at the FAQs for the HD Fury Arcana on the HD Fury website. 

Thank you for that and pointing me a direction, I appreciate it.

Dan

There is no reason why splitting the audio out should in itself create an audio lag.  You should forget Bluetooth.

You have two basic options:

1. An HDMI switch with optical out.  Your various sources form the inputs, the HDMI out from the switch goes to the projector, and the optical out goes to the optical to HDMI-ARC converter supplied with the Arc, and the converter connects to the Arc.  You will be able to get DD5.1 out of this, but not DD+ or Dolby Atmos
  2. An HDMI switch combined with an HDFury Arcana.  No optical.  Output from HDMI switch is input to Arcana, HDMI out from Arcana goes to projector, eArc from Arcana goes to Arc.  Given a suitable source (e.g. your Blu-Ray player) you could get anything up to Dolby Atmos over TrueHD lossless audio.

Personally, I would go for option 2 without a moment’s hesitation, but your call.  The Arcana also virtually eliminates any risk of audio lag.  See the diagram for ‘from multi HDMI sources’ here:

https://www.hdfury.eu/shop/hdfury-arcana/

I hope that helps.

I think my (other) post is being moderated due to link of the Arcana I just bought.  I got the 4K one.

Thank you, just bought it!  Whew, thought I was in for a big headache!

Take care,

Great! Please let us know how it turns out (eventually).

I will.  I do see the link you sent is the same one I purchase from Taiwan.  Looks like same specs, but just added the “4K” in name.  I see from firmware updates on the site they keep on top of it, as they just updated to 0.85 a couple days ago.  That’s cool.

Again, Thanks for this one.