Answered

hack symfonisks to use as stereonpair with nonsmart tv

• 20 January 2022
  • 9 replies

i have a panasonic viera plasma tv that i love and dont plan on replacing anytime soon. Also I have 2 Symfonisk panel speakers.  Is there some way to create a "legacy" connection directly from the tv into the amps, e.g. by opening them up and connecting an audio cable somewhere?

thanks

ps i also have a beam 2 here, but the symfonisks sound so much better that i am happy to return the beam and be without surround.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 21 January 2022, 14:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I wouldn’t expect such a “hack” to exist very long on a company supported forum. You may be better off looking in non-company supported areas, such as reddit, or the like. 

hi @rusty75 sounds like a daring plan and opening the devices would certainly make any warranty void

I don’t think your going to find such a hack as the symfonisk speakers don’t have any hardware for an analog or digital input.  I mean, I haven’t looked inside, but no reason to think it’s there.  You would have to add that hardware yourself, and then modify the Sonos software to use that somehow...and then it’s pretty much not Sonos anymore.

The hacks that do exist out there generally maintain the computer side of Sonos, using different speakers.  You essentially want to do the opposite.

well alll I want to do is not having to return my speakers. If the warranty is voided, so what? The symfonisks are not that expensive.

As long as Sonos is not allowing me to use them in a surround setting with the beam gen 2 that i bought for this purpose, i am wihout a solution, and so i may be returning the whole lot. Which is a shame because the beam would be a great center speaker, the symfonisks great front left and rights.

The beam by itself does not sound good enough to beat tye symfonisks.

ps Danny yes I indeed want to do something opposite of usual modifications,all so that I can actually use the Symfonisks. Why would that be such an problem if Sonos does not offer an out of the box solution.. 

well alll I want to do is not having to return my speakers. If the warranty is voided, so what? The symfonisks are not that expensive.

As long as Sonos is not allowing me to use them in a surround setting with the beam gen 2 that i bought for this purpose, i am wihout a solution, and so i may be returning the whole lot. Which is a shame because the beam would be a great center speaker, the symfonisks great front left and rights.

The beam by itself does not sound good enough to beat tye symfonisks.

You can use the symfonisks as surround speakers.  You can’t use them as additional front speakers.

You can use the symfonisks as surround speakers.  You can’t use them as additional front speakers.

I guess I could open them up and bypass the amp section, using them as passive speakers?

But the amps are actually great...

Still I am considering this, if it would work, because there is nothing out there that I am aware of with the same form factor and sound quality. It would keep a clean look to the room which is important. As surround rears, i get less quality front audio, from the beam only. So it is an inferior option imho. 

Sonos please give us the option to enhace the beam with front speakers...

Sonos speakers are UPnP renderers, which work fine from LMS, including stereo pairs.  With the WaveInput plugin for LMS and an ADC on a Raspberry Pi, it can be done without any “hacking” of your speakers.

https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/software/integrate-analoge-audio-devices-into-your-multi-room-system/

ps Danny yes I indeed want to do something opposite of usual modifications,all so that I can actually use the Symfonisks. Why would that be such an problem if Sonos does not offer an out of the box solution.. 

I thought I already explained this.  The speakers have no physical input capabilities. It’s not a question of morality, but physical capability.

I think your options are:

1 - turn them into passive speakers, connected to some other amp.  Speakers would no longer be part of Sonos though (unless you use a Sonos amp), and you would control through the amp.  You would need speaker wires connecting both speakers to the amp.  

2 - Use a Sonos device that can connect to your TV (Amp/Beam/Arc) or does bluetooth sharing (Roam) and then group with the symfonisk speakers.  The symfonisk speakers would be delayed though, and not play in sync with the video on your TV.

3-  Do a UPnP solution as @chicks mentioned.  However, I don’t think this would bypass the same buffer you would get with option two.

If you really like the idea of using picture frames as front speakers, and have no issues with speaker wires instead of power cords, that I probably would look at just making my own.  The ‘trick’ to ikea speakers is really the use of acoustic fabric and low profile speakers.  You probably can find low profile, or in wall speakers and build a simple picture frame with accostic fabrc yourself.  You can power those speakers with a Sonos amp, or any receiver that can connect to your TV really.