Gen1/Gen2 Play 5's w/Sub

• 11 May 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
I currently have a gen 1 and a gen 2 play 5, two sonos subs. I can't split them to left and right since they wouldn't be equal, and right now I have the older gen 1 in the garage. For my main room, I have high vaulted 25ft ish, ceilings, and a very open multi level living room. I was trying to hook up and have two subs, one for each level, into my one play 5 second gen. Is there a limit, one play component to one sub at this point? I'm looking to add a second play5, two play 1's, and a sound bar shortly, to help even the room out with surround sound. Will I have to make it two separate rooms, then group them so the subs work together? Or will I be able to just add the sub to the second play 5 when I split them left to right?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There's a limit of one SUB to a "room". That could be one speaker or a stereo pair (or a Playbar plus surrounds) in that room , Sonos doesn't care.

So yes, attaching a sub to each "room" and then grouping them would be the way to go. If you were to get another of either Gen 1 or Gen 2 Play:5s, you could stereo pair them and keep the sub attached to that room.
Userlevel 2
That's what I was thinking. And I wouldn't be able to have a left and right sub with pairs. Just one that goes with both.
Would I be able to use two connect's as a pair? Then I could have a left and right sub along with the surround.

I'd like to have two subs because I have a 3D projector set up and would like the sound to compliment it as well.
Badge
I simply want to echo what Airgetlam mentioned, only a single SUB per room can be had. However, a workaround would be to have two groups joined together. Though personally speaking, I think it would be overkill.
Ah, Jonathan H. For me as well, but I do recognize that my music listening preferences are not the same as others. Who am I to gainsay other's preferences? 🙂