Question

Ethernet for Subwoofer

• 24 December 2019
  • 4 replies

I have 4 in-ceiling speakers that connect to an AMP.  AMP is located 1 floor down in garage in the “home run closet” (2-story home; 8 ft ceilings).  I’ve successfully connected a Sonos sub to work with these 4 speakers.

Unfortunately, the sub connection cuts in-and-out.  When I spoke with support, they said the distance to the AMP was the problem.  I’ll assume that’s true.  In the same room, I have ethernet cables that run to that same home run closet. 

Is it possible for me to connect the sub to the AMP via ethernet cable?  Would that solve the cutting in-and-out problem?

Related, the port for the ethernet cable is on the opposite wall where the TV is, so the sub (if this works) would have to be on that same opposite wall.  Is that going to work from a sound perspective?

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, you can connect the Sub over Ethernet.

Positioning is much less critical for subwoofers than for other speakers, but you should give it a try to make sure you’re OK with how it sounds.

Thank @pwt.  I will do that!

Related question…  In that home run area, there are a bunch of ethernet cables and I don’t know which one starts in the correct room (in this case living room).  Is there an easy way to see which cable in the home run area is the one that terminates in the living room?  I was going to brute force it by connecting a PC in the living room and then changing cables in the home run area until I got a connection (i.e., see the other PC).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No alternative other than brute force, or connecting all the cables (including the one from the Amp) into a switch.

I’d connect the Sub, then use something with ‘blinky lights’ (i.e., something that gives a visual indication of Ethernet activity) to try out the cables in turn in the home run area.

Thanks @pwt , I think I have just the right sort of blinky thing.