Answered

Ethernet downlink question

• 20 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 20 replies

Hi,

I have a sonos S1 system using a bridge and Sonosnet.

In my kitchen I have a Hive heating box plugged into the ethernet on my Sonos Play 5 using the network bridging facility.

Will this continue to work if I move away from Sonosnet and use WIFI instead?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by buzz 29 October 2022, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I understand the network ports are disabled on Sonos products that are not using SonosNet. Can you not move the Hive Hub over to your router, or a linked switch off that router, or use a wireless access point/power-line adapter etc?

Badge

Unfortunately not as the router is too far away from the hive control unit for it to work. This is why I was using the bridging feature.

Unfortunately not as the router is too far away from the hive control unit for it to work. This is why I was using the bridging feature.

Ah okay - hope the SonosNet connection works for you then.👍

Be wary of BRIDGE because many of them have reached EOL (End Of Life), particularly the power supply. BOOST uses more modern radios and performs better.

Yes, SONOS will share SonosNet connections with clients wired to a SONOS network port. Note that the network ports are 10/100 and the most optimistic wireless throughput expectation would be in the 30Mbps range (5-10Mbps would be more typical) and that too much non music related traffic might impact music play.

Your HIVE might be a good candidate for an EoP (Ethernet over Powerline) extender.