Answered

Distortion when using Sonos Connect and line in (Record Player)

• 24 March 2018
  • 6 replies

I've perused all the forums... I can't figure this out and it's driving me insane. The Sonos Connect Amp and Sonos Play 3 I received as a birthday present, here's my set up:

Record Player: Uturn Audio Pro
Phone PreAmp: Pluto Phone Preamp
Headphone Amp: Micromega MyZIC Headphone Amplifier
Sonos Connect Amp
Speakers: Kef Q350
I also have an additional Sonos Play 3
All my RCA cables are Audioquest Evergreen. I have the amazon basic banana plugs.

When I play vinyl records, I get a distorted sound. It's unbearable! I was not experiencing this when I was not using Sonos (just last week). I would like to enjoy listening to records from all over my house, this is the reason I bought a sonos connect amp in the first place!

Here's what I've done,
1. I've changed the the compression setting, from auto to compressed to uncompressed. no change
2. I've logged into my router and changed the wireless channel to 1, 6, and 11. No change
3. Ensured I have I have the latest updates from Sonos
4. Streamed from Spotify and the sound is crystal clear

PLAY:3: Kitchen
Version: 8.4 (build 41350131)
Hardware Version: 1.8.1.3-1
Series ID: A100
WM: 1
---------------------------------
CONNECT:AMP: Lounge
Version: 8.4 (build 41350131)
Hardware Version: 1.17.3.1-1
Series ID: C100
WM: 1
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 March 2018, 22:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Here's what I've done,
1. I've changed the the compression setting, from auto to compressed to uncompressed. no change
2. I've logged into my router and changed the wireless channel to 1, 6, and 11. No change
3. Ensured I have I have the latest updates from Sonos
4. Streamed from Spotify and the sound is crystal clear

The one I don't see is "reduced the Line-In level in Room Settings"...
Ratty, did that too. Meant to toss that in (totally forgot). It defaults to 2. I tried 1, 6, 7, 9. the line in level source level seems to reduce the sound and doesn't really affect the distortion
Does your turntable have a built-in phono preamp? And if so is it disabled, since you're using an external preamp?
no the turntable does not have a built-in phono preamp.

Uturn Audio gives you the choice of a built in or a having the component separate, I choose the later route! I also went with their recommendation Pluto Phono Preamp. The turntable and preamp worked great with my old set up, prior to the sonos connect amp.

Thanks for helping with this btw! I was close to giving up and just returning everything.
So the exact same signal -- the line output from the Micromega headphone amp I assume -- worked fine into your old kit, yes?

Can you test the Line-In on the CONNECT:AMP using another source? The headphone output from a phone would do if you don't have another piece of HiFi gear with a line-level output.

On an entirely different tack, is this actually distortion or is the audio dropping out? Does if affect both the C:A and the PLAY:3?
Ratty - so it looks like when I was trying to test a new source, I moved the connect amp maybe 6 inches away from the turntable to reach my desktop, it made a difference to distortion nearly instantly. I'll keep monitoring it to see if the proximity was the reason for the distortion. Thanks for helping here!

Also - I'm glad you brought it up - the play: 3 audio is dropping in and out when grouped with the connect amp from time to time. It's fairly inconsistent, unable to pin point why or when it happens