Answered

Connecting to multiple WiFi networks

• 7 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have multiple Sonos products throughout my house and outside.  Since my house and property is big it is tough to cover with one wifi router.  I currently have 3 wifi routers to get proper coverage across my house and property. 

My question is, can I get my sonos attach to different wifi routers and be able to access all of them and play musics on all sonos products even if they are on different wifi routers?

Thanks look forward to your feedback.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 December 2022, 19:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

All your speakers need to be on the same network.  That doesn’t mean that they need to wirelessly connect to the same physical WiFi access point/router/satellite.  You can use setup a mesh system, or configure access points correctly, so that there is just one network, one device that is managing IPs in your home.

Also note that you can have your speakers in wired/sonosnet mode, where only one are a handful of speakers are wired to your router, and Sonos creates it’s own mesh network for communicating with each other  If you have many Sonos speakers in your home, and none is a great distance from the others, this may cover a greater area than your WiFi setup, and work very well for having the speakers talk to each other.  However, your phone/tablet will still be on WiFi.

Thanks for the response. Is there a manual on how to setup my wifi routers in a mesh network?  I currently have wifi routers hardwired to my carriers modem.  

Thanks for the response. Is there a manual on how to setup my wifi routers in a mesh network?  I currently have wifi routers hardwired to my carriers modem.  

Mesh network routers are inherent in the router product yourself. Orbi, Eero, Velop are some of the more popular brands.  You can setup your specific routers to be just access points with only one managing the network, but you would need to look at the manual for your specific routers for that.

Danny, thanks for the help. I will look into this.