Question

Connected Living Room & Kitchen -- possible to have 2 different room setups to use?

• 28 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
I live in a condo that has open plan living, dining, kitchen area ( L shaped -- with the small part of the L being the kitchen). I have 2 Play:3's in the living room set up as stereo configuration, and a One on the kitchen counter.

When I'm listening to music it would normally be from the living room speakers -- when I'm in the kitchen area, generally the One (and when at the breakfast counter bar. Currently the Play:3's are configured for "Living Room" and the One for "Kitchen". Sometimes I've got both of them running together ... here's my question.

Can I add another "room" configuration that includes all the speakers? So I'd have the current "Living Room", "Kitchen" and then another "Big Room" (or whatever). I would then "tune" the "Big Room" to be optimized for the larger space with all three speakers running.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not really. The concept of a "room" in Sonos' parlance is a set of speakers. There isn't the concept of having any speaker be part of more than one single "room", although it's been requested in many forms over time.

I can't say if Sonos is working on the concept or not, but I wouldn't be holding my breath, either. But it's possible that "super-rooms" may exist at some point.
Badge
Thanks! Hmmmm ... well maybe I could go with just a one room configuration -- and have all 3 speakers as part of it - then maybe control the volume on the individual speakers? I don't know if that's possible -- as in my current "Living Room" with two Play:3's I don't see anyway to change the volume on one of those individual speakers.

That would kind of suck ... because when I'm in the kitchen it's nice to just have the One speaker on. Maybe I'm being too finicky. Just got them yesterday, after years with Apple AirPlay tied into an amp and high end audiophile speakers (Monitor Audio Gold reference speakers -- know anyone who's interested in them?? 🙂 ) -- but friends in the UK moved over to Sonos and I was very impressed. LOVE them now that I've got them up and running -- to the point that last night I ordered two Play:1's -- one for the master bedroom and one for the ensuite (which I will take out to the patio in the summer).
Actually, I don't think you can put 3 speakers into a single "room" in Sonos. You can have a single speaker, a pair of stereo speakers, or a 5.1 setup as a room, as far as I'm aware.

For your situation, I'd just set each speaker up as a separate room, and then just "group" them all together. They'd all play simultaneously, and you can still control the volumes of each separately. Or, you could do two rooms, with the PLAY:3s paired as stereo, and the extra one grouped with them.

And I have to laugh, having the same issue as you. I started off small, but then it seemed to be important to get more, and more, and more... 🙂 Welcome to the addiction.
Badge
Addiction may be the correct term ... lol. Though mine is fuelled by the American Thanksgiving driven sales. Weird thing -- Amazon (Canada) limited purchases of the Play:1 to one per customer so I had to go to the Sonos site to order the two of them. Have to say that I was expected to be impressed by the Play:3 setup to replace my stereo -- the One is especially impressive. Amazon Alexa is not yet available in Canada (early 2018) so I wanted to be prepped for it. Pleasantly surprised to read elsewhere that the One is due to support AirPlay 2 which will solve my other "want" soon.

Kevin