Answered

connect play 5 gen 2 to LG TV

• 16 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi all! I would like to know how I can connect my play 5 speakers to my new LG TV wirelessly. I am prepared to buy whatever other equipment I need to make this possible but I dont what would be the best option… does anyone know? I could buy a playbar and just use that, but I would like to find a way to get proper stereo and use the speakers I currently own. Line in is not an option due to the room setup. Thanks for the help!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 October 2022, 20:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi. Tbere is no way to do this that I am aware of. Tbe TV is incapable of sending a wireless signal that the Play:5s can receive.

Edit. You might be able to wire a Port and send the audio to the Play;5s but that is an expensive way to get a bad solution.

@Paulodinho 

I don’t advocate this, but it won’t cost you anything to try it.  

I see you have a Sonos Roam - so set the TV Bluetooth audio output to play to the Roam and then, using the Sonos App, group that Roam with the Five(s) - it will likely be a poor quality stereo connection and I’m not sure it will play in sync with the Video on the TV screen, but nothing ventured etc. maybe mute the Roam and let it play just to the Fives.

Thanks guys. So advice is to use play 5s for other purposes and get different solution? If so, what solution do you suggest? Appreciate the help!

Thanks guys. So advice is to use play 5s for other purposes and get different solution? If so, what solution do you suggest? Appreciate the help!

Did the Bluetooth audio output to grouped rooms not work for you?

If you perhaps have two Fives, then consider adding a Sonos HT product to the existing system, such as the Sonos Arc or Beam (gen2) depending on size of room/TV and that’s also depending on the connections/audio formats that your TV supports.

I assume, as it’s an LG TV, that it will have an HDMI-ARC/eARC connection and will support either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio but check those things. The Soundbar can be bonded to the Fives for TV Surround/Music audio, if that’s what you are looking for?

I connected a DAC from Best Buy. The Digital Audio Converter allows me to go from Optical from the TV to RCA to AUX to the Play 5. You have to set the TV to Optical. Also, if you keep the TV Audio active there will be a delay / echo. You can get a remote operated DAC, but I just got this Insignia. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-optical-coaxial-digital-to-analog-converter-black/4226000.p?skuId=4226000

Leave your TV Audio off and you can control the Play 5 volume through the app. Get a Ground Loop Isolator so that you don’t hear humming when the system is not putting out active audio. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=best+ground+loop+isolator&hvadid=73323933721725&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvqmt=e&tag=msnsmartus-20&ref=pd_sl_7v2g0te2tc_eGet a

In a pinch, this will work until I want to get a Sonos Beam (Gen 2) to control the sound directly from the remote. Got this idea from another Sonos post.

I also tried this setup with HDMI successfully, but ended up sticking with Optical to AUX.