Answered

Cant set up two separate accounts on one router

• 15 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Trying to set up my account for the first time with a pair of ERA 100’s. I have a single incoming Spectrum service split into two SSID’s, one for a tenant and one for my home.

The tenant has a Sonos accounts on his SSID, and I am trying to set up my new account on MY SSID, but it keeps defaulting to the tenants existing account.

Is there a way to resolve this without getting a separate router as suggested by Sonos tech support as the only solution.

icon

Best answer by buzz 16 January 2024, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sounds like a router issue as Sonos only connects to the SSID you enter in the controller. If the router internally joins the SSIDs this could happen, you might also see a similar issue if the SSIDs are joined to the Ethernet and you try to use that.

You might pick a quiet time and disable the tenant's SSID and set up your Sonos.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing! But then he will automatically link to mine when he tries to reconnect won’t he?

I wouldn’t think so. I am pretty sure it connects to the last system it was connected to, not the last one that was set up. So his controller would connect to his system (when it is powered back up) and your controller would connect to your system. 

I assume that you did not have an existing SONOS installation before you started the attempted install.

I suggest that you Factory Reset your units, uninstall your controllers, then keep your SONOS units powered down for the moment.

Next, have your tenant go to Settings → System → Network → Manage Networks and remove your SSID if present, Then, have your tenant power down all of his SONOS units and force close all of his controllers.

Now you can install your units as a new system using your SSID, then your tenant can power up. You may need to fuss a bit if your SONOS units insist on using the wrong SSID. After setup you can always go to Manage Networks, add your SSID, and remove the tenants SSID.

Two or more independent systems can exist on the same network, but you’ll likely have fewer future surprises if neither system has any units wired to the network and they use different SSID’s

Thanks all- I will try this approach