Question

Can I use sonos system without an internet network at home?

• 29 August 2014
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
i want to use sonos in a presentation setting. Currently i have a microphone connected to a mixer, and the mixer connected to an amplifier wired with speakers. I want to replace the wired speakers with wireless speakers. I don't have internet network. Is it possible with sonos? If so, what sonos equipments do I need to buy to accomplish what I want?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello,

The supported setup with the Sonos system is that it be connected to a router with internet access. In order to access services and updates, Sonos needs to be able to access the internet. 

You can however hook up the system to a router without internet and can control the system from wireless devices that are also attached to that same router. 

Keep in mind that your system needs to be registered and may need an update prior to use, so it is recommended that you do the setup in a location that has an internet connection first, then take it to the final location. 

In order to setup the MIC with the Sonos speakers wirelessly, you would want to consider a CONNECT (that would be hooked up to your amplifier) and the PLAY:1, PLAY:3, or PLAY:5. Depending on your receiver, there may be a slight delay in sound. 

Take a look at this page, it has some options when using a MIC with the Sonos system. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions and be happy to assist you. 
Userlevel 2
So how do I set it up?  Do I connect the line-out from my amplifier to the line-in of the "connect"?  Then how does the sounds get to the other speakers?  Is "connect" a speaker itself?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
So how do I set it up?  Do I connect the line-out from my amplifier to the line-in of the "connect"?  Then how does the sounds get to the other speakers?  Is "connect" a speaker itself?
Hello,

We have two options for setup:

Sonos Wired Setup

and

Sonos WiFi Setup

The CONNECT would be connected to the amplifier using the line-in option. (OUT of the amplifier and IN to the CONNECT.) The CONNECT would then send the sound wirelessly to the other Sonos speakers. The CONNECT is not speaker, it is used to receive and send audio to other sources.  
Userlevel 2
Thank you! What's the return policy for your products?  I would love to try but what if it doesn't work out?
45 day return period for all orders purchased through www.sonos.com/shop, no questions asked:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/215/kw/return+policy

When purchased from a store or online retailer, that retailer's return policy applies.
Userlevel 2
I finally purchased a CONNECT and PLAY:1 and got them updated and set up to work in my home wifi network.  But when I turn off the wifi, it doesn't work.  My plan is to set them up to work in my wifi, then bring the CONNECT and PLAY:1 to a location without wifi and network.  Am I missing something?  Please advise.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello User442257,

You can in theory set the system up this way. You could connect a source via the line-in (computer, tablet, or smartphone) to the back of the CONNECT and then hook up an ethernet cable to a computer (to control the system) and wirelessly stream the content to the PLAY:1. Keep in mind that this is not a supported setup as the system was designed to be connected to a internet connection. 

As mentioned above, you can hook up the system without internet connection but without a WiFi connection you will be unable to control them from a wireless device such as a smartphone, wireless computer, or tablet. In order for them to connect and be controlled, they need to be connected to a network (even if it doesn't get an internet connection). 

Let us know if you have any questions regarding this setup and we'll be happy to help. You can also call our support team and we'll can walk you through this setup as well. 
Ok so I set up my system at a location with internet and moved to where there is wifi but no internet. It worked fine until today where now it wants to update and won't let me past it. Is there anyway to get around the update or is there a way to hot spot it to my phone directly or using my Mac to get the update and move on?
I have the same problem. The request for an update blocks me but I have the latest app software and I am connected to a router. Can you setup the request to update but in manual mode?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi guys, there is not a way to do this unfortunately. You will need to update the devices elsewhere and then bring them back to their area of operation.