Answered

best mesh for sonos

What is the best mesh network for Sonos

I need large coverage and seamless Sonos connection even if I move my roam from house to the yard.

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 27 April 2024, 17:34

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sonos devices don’t really like mesh networks unfortunately.  The best approach is to hardwire one of your Sonos devices into the base mesh device and then allow Sonos Net to create it’s own mesh network for the other Sonos devices.  However the Sonos Roam doesn’t support Sonos Net and will still connect in via WiFi.

For outside coverage I use an Enterprise Access Point which just boosts the signal up to 120 feet:

This is the device that I use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gigabit-Outdoor/dp/B07C217N5V/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2LVJI0JF3X9XY&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.lkwoAz-9UBPHl2LIlyDDhS41VzF7TxBuwotTWjlPDqXxGqxzQxuyZCMqE-0Yl_jeXwTOaZXu898dXw_504Fc_90WejLRm1J5dTCMh35eF3mjjeMOXNdE2bGx2TDF_xfhr8mDhKFZUX0szeGnpz1oKt3_8FjJbCp6jzolR1ZiMzxQrKqvm_eOlj4JEh7NtTZFjfdsmsx6qybCdxOT5M3M0J1YHnZ3sYrLbJYrDJqRmg4.XaLK1FHF1aqHYLWozN_yDIoREE1FteRD4ZyxerINWuA&dib_tag=se&keywords=eap&qid=1714210697&sprefix=eap%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-3

Sonos support told me that if my iPhone and speaker take signal from different boxes, they dont work together anymore.

i have used Sonos for 15 years but now it looks like I have sell because they cant tell directly how to do it, how to get them working in new wifi systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sonos support told me that if my iPhone and speaker take signal from different boxes, they dont work together anymore.

i have used Sonos for 15 years but now it looks like I have sell because they cant tell directly how to do it, how to get them working in new wifi systems.

This is normally down to mesh networks using different Sub Net’s and is outside of Sonos control but I’m just a user trying to help out :)

But if I try then what brand mesh/net gear should I buy? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Personally, I’ve had no success with Mesh networks but simple Wi-Fi extenders and the EAP I included work fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I use eero mesh network as my primary wireless network however I do wire my Sonos arc to the main eero node to get a sonosnet mesh for all my speakers save for my 2 moves and my 2 roams which connect to the eero wireless network and work well and group with the sonosnet with no issues.

I do recommend using this method of sonosnet with the mesh network of any make as you can get lag issues on purely mesh network 

hope this helps you 

And some says that forget sonosnet first. This is why Sonos should give some instructions or disappear.

Personally, I’ve had no success with Mesh networks but simple Wi-Fi extenders and the EAP I included work fine.

not enough red wine in the world to clear this for me. #**********

Moderator Note: Please keep it polite

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

This may be useful 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos should give some instructions.

Have you also seen this for some mesh setup advice: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I went a different direction, I use a simple router, no WiFi or other stuff on it. I attach Access Points to it with Ethernet and let them establish my WiFi network. Since the APs don’t do any router functions, just hook my Controllers to the router I’ve had no connectivity glitches. All Sonos here are on SonosNet from other wired Sonos and I have no WiFi only Sonos here.