best configuration for ZP100 with bookshelf speakers + third party sub ?

• 1 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +2
I've been enjoying the sound from my ZP100 driving a pair of Boston Acoustics CR7's, but have been thinking of adding a (smallish) sub to fill out the bottom end. What's the best way to hook these up?

1) zp100 speaker output to sub and from there to CR7's (allows use of sub's crossover adjustment)
or
2) zp100 speaker outputs to CR7's directly, zp100 line-level sub output to sub. I assume the ZP's crossover will send a low-pass signal to the sub, but will it send a high-pass or full-range to the speakers?)
or
3) zp100 speaker outputs to CR7's directly, zp100 full range line-level output to sub (best of both worlds?)
or
4) ???

thanx for any tips or clarification on the zp100's operation in this scenario...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +2
to be clear, i'm talking about a powered sub, that can take speaker-level input or line-level and/or LFE input via RCA...
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
I always prefer to run my subs from the rca preout an the unit. This allows you to have peak power and full range settings from the sub amp and it’s internal crossover . When you run the rca preout from your amp you get full dynamic range and manually set the high cut.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Go with 2.

This sends everything below 80hz to the sub and everything above to your speakers.

Most room nodes, so in peak spikes happen in the 50-75hz range so should allow you to dial in the sub seamlessly.

I have had some great results doing this.
2. That will free up the ZP100 amp from having to power the full signal to the speaker pair, because it will only be playing above the low-pass crossover.