ASUS AiMesh Setup with Sonos

• 20 March 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi

There’s a lot of talk about Mesh Network setups and how well they play with Sonos. This is not a post on what Mesh network works best. Just want to provide some info on the ASUS AiMesh setup.

My onus to setup the ASUS AiMesh was not because of Sonos as I run it in Wired (Boost) mode using a dedicated Boost module(s). I just needed better overall signal strength/coverage.

If you are using an ASUS router that is AiMesh compatible below is a link on proper setup. I personally use two ASUS AC5300 Tri Band routers in a three split-level home. I ran Ethernet cable to establish the AiMesh versus using Wi-Fi to obtain the best link (or Backbone) with a 1-Gb throughput. Sonos works perfectly and my thoughts are that it would also perform well in a Wireless (Wi-Fi) mode had a chosen that as the link for the AiMesh.

I hope this helps someone. Cheers!

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Sonos only has a chance to work satisfactorily in WiFi ('wireless') mode on a meshed WiFi if the user has control over the 2.4GHz channels used by the mesh nodes, and can configure them all onto the same channel. This is as noted in this article: "If you are using multiple access points, make sure they are all set to the same 2.4GHz wireless channel."

Without a single 2.4GHz channel throughout the mesh Sonos units will not be able to group optimally (which can also affect pairs and Sub bonds). Intra-group traffic may have to pass over the mesh backbone interconnections, and could result in dropouts or loss of sync.