Anyone Know A Simple Way To Downsample Flac from 24 / 96K to 48K?

• 17 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve got JRiver Media and have been able to downsample my 24bit librry items to 16 bit but I haven’t found a way to downsample the same files from 96K to 48K   any Ideas?   Yes, I know Sonos will support 24 Bit and I will leave them 24 Bit if I can find a way to change the sample rate.

Appreciate any suggestions.

thanks

7 replies

This application doesn’t have a ‘save as’ feature that allows you to alter the file settings?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

JRiver has a convert funtion that can go from ALAC to FLAC or the other way or to any number of other formats MP3, Ogg, Wav, etc and it will move the files from 32bit to 24 or 16 bit but I haven’t found a way to get 96K sample rates to 48

Sorry, I don’t use this software. Have you asked on a non-speaker, perhaps software focused forum? Or contacted this JRiver developer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I use the free ffmpeg for my conversions. I’m sure there are simpler options.

https://ffmpeg.org/

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@holsen 

If you won’t find an easy way to get 24/48 files, don’t bother. Imo on most Sonos Speakers there is no significant difference between 24/48 and 16/44,1 audio quality. 
Maybe on a Five stereo pair or some high quality speakers connected to Amp or Port you will, but after running a lot of tests I prefer 16/44,1 for Sonos. Sounds quite good and no problems with data rate on wireless connections and grouping. 

“dBpoweramp Music Converter”

Easy to use and offers a free 21 days trial

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm?fb=1

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks all.  I found it from within River.  The bit rate was obvious  but there is a downsample option  under DSP setting I didn't see..., all those albums are now playable on Sonos.  And yes, I'm pushing out through Amps to fairly high end speakers and through Port into a B&O system so I'm glad I was able to keep HD files.  I appreciate the comments.