7 Sonos clients, 5 hard-wired. Should I disable SonosNet in favor of WiFi?

• 9 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
I have 7 sonos clients in our house with an Eero WiFi system. I have good WiFi coverage everywhere.

5 of the clients are hard-wired via Ethernet, with 2 remaining ones needing to connect wirelessly.

My understanding is that because I have at least one sonos client plugged into Ethernet, I have a BOOST setup, with the hardwired clients created a SonosNET network in parallel to my existing main WiFi network.

I feel like SonosNet is unnecessary and to just eliminate wireless interference, I’m thinking of disabling it. However, I have some questions.

If I switch my setup to regular WiFi instead of SonosNet, will my existing 5 hardwired clients still use the hard wire, and only the 2 remaining units connecting to WiFi?

Anything I’m missing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You cannot, nor should you, disable Sonosnet. It is automatically created when you hardwire one or more Sonos devices. As to causing wireless interference, Sonosnet should be set to a different channel than your standard WiFi, thus eliminating intereference (yet another benefit of Sonosnet). Also, the wired units will not be using the wireless, except for the miniscule few bytes needed to ping each other to maintain the mesh, everything goes over the wired connection. In short, no need to change anything, except the channel used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@thebobbydigital: any reason you started a new thread instead of continuing with your earlier one?: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/help-me-understand-my-sonos-network-matrix-and-to-figure-out-which-is-the-root-node-6791811/index1.html
Badge +2
@thebobbydigital: any reason you started a new thread instead of continuing with your earlier one?: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/help-me-understand-my-sonos-network-matrix-and-to-figure-out-which-is-the-root-node-6791811/index1.html

Different question.. i like keeping things separate to help others find specific answers.
Badge +2
You cannot, nor should you, disable Sonosnet. It is automatically created when you hardwire one or more Sonos devices. As to causing wireless interference, Sonosnet should be set to a different channel than your standard WiFi, thus eliminating intereference (yet another benefit of Sonosnet). Also, the wired units will not be using the wireless, except for the miniscule few bytes needed to ping each other to maintain the mesh, everything goes over the wired connection. In short, no need to change anything, except the channel used.

Thanks. As i’ve Researched this topic more, I learned that as long as one client is hard wired, it creates SonosNET automatically like you stated. What I’m still unclear on is whether or not sonos clients, when hardwired, will use that connection over SonosNET.

Or is SonosNET always used when it’s setup, even if multiple clients are hardwired?
Sonos will use the connection/route with the lowest cost. Unless there is something very wrong with your network, that is always going to be the wired connection over the wireless.