Answered

2 wifi networks, devices intermittently dropping off one

• 4 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello.

I’m hoping someone may be able to offer some guidance on apparent connectivity issues I have with my newly-extended set up.

In my home I have a ZP80 connected via Ethernet to my BT Home Hub. There is a Play 3, Play 5 and G1 Beam in the house, and these operate with no issue and remain visible in the Sonos App.

I have recently built a garden room 30m from my property, CAT6 connects the BT Home Hub to the TP-Link TD-W9970 wireless router in the garden room where there is another Beam plus a ZP100 connected wirelessly 

I am finding that the devices in the garden room often ‘disappear’ from the Sonos app. Sometimes I also notice that I need to play music from one of the devices in the home then group the garden room devices for music to play.

Are there any obvious issues with this that I need to fix?

thanks in advance for any replies

icon

Best answer by ratty 4 September 2023, 11:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Have you explicitly configured the TD-W9970 as an access point?

A quick glance at the user guide suggests it doesn’t have an access point mode as such, in which case this could be of help: https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

Thanks Ratty, I’ll have a try based on your suggestion and let you know how I get on

If the TD-W9970 is still acting as a router, and you’ve wired it via one of its LAN ports, it will be causing intermittent mayhem on the network. Its DHCP server will still be active, issuing IP addresses in competition with the one in your BT Hub.