2 speakers as a center channel

Badge

Hello? I have a unique TV setup that does not allow for center mounting of a single center channel speaker.

I want to put in. A surround sound Sonos system and am curious if I can “link” two speakers together as a center channel or if I will have delay or other issues? Thank you. 

27 replies

A Sonos Amp uses two ‘front’ speaker to create a virtual center channel, in addition to the stand left and right channels, when fed a 5.1 signal. It requires a pair of third party speakers to be connected to it. Is that what you’re looking for?

Either another Amp, or a pair of like Sonos speakers can then be used as surrounds, if desired, as can a Sonos Sub. 

Have you perhaps looked at using a Sonos Amp for the front L/R and phantom center channels? See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717

The Amp can connect to the TV over HDMI ARC, or Optical, and also be used with another Amp, or Sonos speakers for the rear L/R surround channels and the setup will support upto two Sonos Subs (one of which must be a gen3 Sub).

Bruce - “Snap!"🃏🃏

Dunno, Ken, never happens to me ;)

Badge

Thank you for the replies!

so this is the design so far:

The TV comes down to eye level. I want to put the speakers in the two “holes” you see above the tv on either side of the mount plate that’s in black.

with the amp suggestion, do I use to center speakers for the center channel and then a left right forward and aft or do I just use 4 speakers, one in each corner?

thanks again!

There are no center speakers required with the Sonos Amp, it’s normally just two (or four) 8ohm speakers that play the left/right channels and create a ‘phantom’ center channel - there is no front center speaker.

You can put the 8ohm speakers mentioned wherever you choose - personally speaking, I would just put two floor standers, one on either side of the TV near those wall power sockets.

Then i would choose to add one, or possibly two, Sub(s) to the setup and two surrounds, which can come from a pair of matching Sonos speakers, or another Sonos Amp/Speakers.

If the L/R speakers are close to the TV, a center channel speaker is redundant.

Badge

This is great, thank you!

One more questions

It looks as the  amp only for wired setups. Is there a way to do what I want wirelessly? 

thanks again everyone!

What do you mean by wirelessly? The Amp needs a power cable, that is one ‘wire’, it also needs to receive a signal from the TV, that’s another ‘wire’. Finally, it needs to send a signal to speakers, which require wires to carry the power and signal. However, the Sonos Amp can connect wirelessly to both your WiFi signal and other Sonos speakers. 

Badge

Thank you for the answer. I was hoping for a wireless signal (wifi) and power (battery) but it doesn’t look like that’s a possibility. Is it?

Thank you for the answer. I was hoping for a wireless signal (wifi) and power (battery) but it doesn’t look like that’s a possibility. Is it?

Have you perhaps considered using a Sonos Arc with adjustable mount instead? - something like this…

https://youtu.be/nIxQ3FpXVn4

Apart from the power cable and link to TV, which can be hidden, all is wireless when connecting to Sub & rears surround speakers. The Arc is also capable of Atmos Audio, if your TV supports that audio codec.

I know that wireless battery operated speakers would seem like a big win on day one, but over time charging the battery will become an unwelcome chore.

Badge

I would install a sound bar but I don’t have the clearance with the articulating arm that lowers the tv to eye height. 

that makes sense on the battery. I’m going to look at running signal wires for the speakers off the amp. Thank you everyone!

I would caution against the use of the Sonos Amp for TV/Movie use. I find their phantom center channel to be less than ideal. We all struggle with dialogue on most movies (my hearing is OK) and Sonos doesn't give you any control over the center channel volume other that a simple "boost". Often this has little effect and can sometimes make things worse. In my humble opinion there is no substitute for a separate center channel speaker and I am thinking of changing my set up despite the convenience. 

I would caution against the use of the Sonos Amp for TV/Movie use. I find their phantom center channel to be less than ideal. We all struggle with dialogue on most movies (my hearing is OK) and Sonos doesn't give you any control over the center channel volume other that a simple "boost". Often this has little effect and can sometimes make things worse. In my humble opinion there is no substitute for a separate center channel speaker and I am thinking of changing my set up despite the convenience. 

If you’re having issues with your Amp, what I don’t understand is why you’ve only just joined this forum today, to mention these things and you make no mention of speaking with Sonos support, or what things you’ve perhaps attempted, to rectify the matter? - It is not clear what you mean by the ‘simple boost’ either? 

You say your hearing is ‘OK’, but you haven’t quantified that either - how  do you know, and how do you know it’s not the TV that the Amp is connected to, or the environment it’s being used in, or if your Amp, cables, or speakers are part of the actual issue?  

I’ve not seen many here complaining about the sound of the Amp, in fact quite a few seem to prefer that setup compared to a soundbar, albeit it’s ‘different horses for courses’. 

Perhaps as a bit of a comparison here, some folk here may complain about the sound of the Sonos Arc whereas a good many others (me included) say that it sounds fine - so I think you should let people judge how things sound for themselves and if they are not happy, they can always use the Sonos 100-day returns policy and money back guarantee.

A Sonos Amp uses two ‘front’ speaker to create a virtual center channel, in addition to the stand left and right channels, when fed a 5.1 signal. It requires a pair of third party speakers to be connected to it. Is that what you’re looking for?

Either another Amp, or a pair of like Sonos speakers can then be used as surrounds, if desired, as can a Sonos Sub. 

I have a Sonos Amp setup with play 1s as the surrounds. I find that the "VIRTUAL " center channel really lacking.. I used to have a Yamaha 5.1 setup and the sound was superior.  I really wish they would give us a real center channel speaker.....

You, and hundreds of others, maybe thousands, who have posted that same request since Sonos originally released the Sonos PLAYBAR in 2013. 

I have a Sonos Amp setup with play 1s as the surrounds. I find that the "VIRTUAL " center channel really lacking.. I used to have a Yamaha 5.1 setup and the sound was superior.  I really wish they would give us a real center channel speaker.....

Well at least you didn’t get attacked for posting your opinion as I did by Ken_Griffiths. I have finally changed my Home Theatre set up and moved back to a hard wired solution utilising an Episode mini AV receiver. It uses exactly the same speakers but allows me to to use the TV (A Sony acoustic surface model) as the centre channel. The difference in speech quality is like night and day and I’m back to being able to individually control the level of each channel. Imagine that! 

I am trying out using two lefts and rights connected to the amp. I placed the second set in my TV stand and it has made some difference. (they used to be my wired rear surrounds). I use play one’s for the wireless rears now. I also turn on the “speech enhancement” option in the Sonos App when watching movies.

Interesting. I’d think two lefts and two rights would muddle the soundstage a bit, but I’ve never tried it, either.

If you have the resources try it out. I was surprised. I had them connected before. I had them on top of my other LR speakers. Thought why not?

I am trying out using two lefts and rights connected to the amp. I placed the second set in my TV stand and it has made some difference. (they used to be my wired rear surrounds). I use play one’s for the wireless rears now. I also turn on the “speech enhancement” option in the Sonos App when watching movies.

Assuming you have four wired speakers. How'd you connect the other two as there's only one left and right wired spot?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Jusask which TV mount are you using? You would normally add ‘hangers’ to the bracket allow the TV+Soundbar to move ‘as one’ when you raise or lower the TV.

If you want a ‘Surround’ SONOS System you must use one of the Soundbars and then add in Surround and Overhead speakers or set the Soundbar to produce virtual channels.

Your Open Plan room looks like it will be a challenge when trying to create a Surround or Immersive bubble.

Joe

I just wired the speakers in Parallel ( two lefts and two rights). The Sonos amp can handle it fine… I use Sonos 1’s as my surrounds. Agreed that this is not ideal - but its what I have without investing in a soundbar (already have the amp and good speakers).. I really wish the amp would provide a “real” centre channel connection instead of “virtual”. 

With speakers that image well placed so close to the screen, a center channel speaker is mostly redundant.