Answered

Using Sonos Move at two homes

Have two Sonia systems at two locations but wanted to take my Move between each location. It looks like I have to reset the move to get it to join the system at each location. SSID at each location is the same, not sure if that is the issue (but doubt it). Get a message saying that the Move is registered to a different system. Btw, both systems are in the same account. 

icon

Best answer by Krishma M 12 July 2020, 17:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @frizby66, thanks for reaching out! You may need to try to use the “Find Missing Product” in the Sonos app. Go to Settings > System > Find Missing Product and follow the on-screen steps. If that won’t work, you’d really need to factory reset your Sonos Move anytime you move in another location with the existing system. But if you don’t have an existing system on another location, you won’t need to reset it, just update the WiFi of your Sonos Move. Let us know if this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Official Sonos response is a Factory Reset whenever moving the Move speaker?

Seriously.

Some Sonos decisions of late are going to be soooo costly I feel.

Tried the “missing “ option but no joy. Factory reset appears to be the only solution (bit of a nuclear option). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I can understand why though. Sonos devices share all information (playlists, preferences) between them. So taking a device out of one system and having it connect to another means more to a speaker than only connecting to a new wifi network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I find that ridiculous to be honest.

Otherwise, why have it designed to remember the credentials of 15(?) different WiFi networks if it would need a factory reset just to move it?

I don't agree with the logic or the official proposed solution of a Factory Reset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not saying this couldn’t be solved, just why it could be like this currently. I’d rather have Sonos concentrating on fixing the 64k limit and introducing SMBv2 support than resolving your problem though…..

The move is a speaker that’s supposed to be moved. Having it connect to more networks seems logical. I’m not sure how many people have more than one Sonos system…..

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I can understand why though. Sonos devices share all information (playlists, preferences) between them. So taking a device out of one system and having it connect to another means more to a speaker than only connecting to a new wifi network.

This is correct and thanks @106rallye. That’s why you won’t need to reset the Sonos Move if there’s no existing system in another location. Sometimes, the “Find Missing Product” option may work, but if not, you’ll really need to factory reset it to be added to another existing Sonos system. We’ll surely forward this to our development team as well. Thanks, folks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So the Move speaker that is designed to move and stores network details for many different networks needs a Factory Reset to move around…

What is the main reason for having the ability to remember multiple network details?

I assume when it's reset it forgets all those details every time too?

Why does Find Missing Product work sometimes?

If true, for a ‘smart’ speaker, that's about as dumb as you can get.

I'd be interested in ratty or buzz's opinion on this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

So the Move speaker that is designed to move and stores network details for many different networks needs a Factory Reset to move around…

What is the main reason for having the ability to remember multiple network details?

I assume when it's reset it forgets all those details every time too?

Why does Find Missing Product work sometimes?

If true, for a ‘smart’ speaker, that's about as dumb as you can get.

I'd be interested in ratty or buzz's opinion on this.

It’s designed if you move it to another location with no existing system. You only need to reset it if you have an active existing Sonos system to the location where you want to bring the Sonos Move because as @106rallye its more on connecting to the new WiFi if there are two active systems. But as I’ve said, I’ll forward this to our team. Thanks!

There are dilemmas to solve. Since the music library index, music service registrations, SONOS playlists, alarms, bonding to other units (L/R, SUB, surrounds) are stored in each player, after taking a unit to another location that hosts a SONOS system, which set of system characteristics should rule? Should the transported system details override the resident system? On return to the “home” system, should the transport unit bring along anything “learned” at the guest location?

What happens if the transported unit’s Room name is “Kitchen” and there is also a “Kitchen” in the temporary system?

Some details are obvious, such as the music library index. Unless the libraries are actively maintained to be identical, using the library index from another location does not make sense. Probably, alarms fall in the same bin, especially if the Room names are different. It might be reasonable if the music service registrations could be shared, but what happens if both systems have a registration for the same service? Which should prevail? Should newly “learned” registrations go home with the transported unit? This could cause issues for both systems with a service such as SPOTIFY, because SPOTIFY does not allow simultaneous play in multiple locations. And, how should SPOTIFY Playlists and History be managed while on location and after returning home?

The easiest approach would be to archive the home system details while the transport unit is a guest in another system, but the first complaint about this approach will be “why can’t I copy (or use) my Playlists from XYZ music service at the guest location?” 

Of course, there are different use cases. On one hand one might want to transport a unit simply to give a quick demo. Another use case might be friends who regularly transport a unit to the other’s house. A much simpler use case would be transport between the main house and a weekend cabin. Both locations could be setup as the same household (system), but have different WiFi credentials.