This Trade Up program is bad

This trade up program is bad. I have 3 Play 5s and all will be obsolete. Thanks SonoS. i expect better.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Zona88, these products were introduced over a decade ago, and simply don’t have the processing power to sustain continued software updates. We created the Trade Up program so that our long-term customers like you the ability to upgrade your first-generation Sonos products at a 30% discount on any next-generation Sonos products.

You can choose to do it at any time, and your 3 Play:5s will keep on working as they do now for as long as we can make it happen. We’ll also continue to provide what bug fixes and security updates that the hardware on them is capable of handling as well. For details on trade up, see here: https://www.sonos.com/tradeup

See here for some news on what’s coming with S1 (legacy devices like those Play:5s) and S2 (the new Sonos app). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Why use the the word “obsolete”?  Your speakers will still work, and the app to control them is more capable now than even just a few months ago, let alone several years. Your speakers have been superseded by more modern technology. 

I still have an iPhone 4 which I can still use. Is it obsolete, or just superseded? It still works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My car dealership trade up program is bad. I have three cars that are 10 years old and they will be obsolete (gas will run out, eventually). I expect better.

Like free new cars to replace my old ones.

I personally think that Sonos'  support for their products is superb. When you think about it, you look at a lot of companies, especially mobile phone and tablet manufacturers and they only support their devices for 2 to 3 years. A product that was released a decade ago and still receiving support to this day is unheard of these days. It's that kind of support that has convinced us to buy 3 Play speakers over the last 3 years and we are likely to buy more in the future. I just hope Sonos continue with this level of support their for products.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So i run a beam ,two play 3s ,and a play 5 gen 1. So the play 5 is going to have to go because i dont want to run a split system ,the whole reason i run Sonos is because i want an integrated seamless music system, the wife loves it and can use it fully so here is my problem .

Sonos are saying that memory is a problem on older units and i can see the logic behind that ,and i am resigned to the fact that i am going to replace the P5 gen 1 with a gen 2 with the 30% offer dont like it or want too but! Are there any plans from Sonos to release new stock with big memory in the units ? what i dont want to do is go get an “old” stock gen 2 thats been sat on the shelf for months and then find that new production  units have big memory in them and i am still behind the curve .

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you have play 3s and gen 1 play 5 then all three are legacy devices.  You are not being forced to replace anything!  You can run ALL you kit on the new S1 system.

If you decide to upgrade your play 5 Gen 1 and 3’s at a later date then you can go to the S2 system.  Even if you buy a new kit (like your beam) you can run them all together on the S1 system.

I’m not sure what your issue is as Sonos have you covered for all eventualities without you having to even use the trade up program if you don’t want to.

The Play:3 is not designated “legacy”.

Sonos S2 overview and compatibility

Sonos are saying that memory is a problem on older units and i can see the logic behind that ,and i am resigned to the fact that i am going to replace the P5 gen 1 with a gen 2 with the 30% offer dont like it or want too but! Are there any plans from Sonos to release new stock with big memory in the units ? what i dont want to do is go get an “old” stock gen 2 thats been sat on the shelf for months and then find that new production  units have big memory in them and i am still behind the curve .

There is no difference in hardware for all the play:5 gen 2 units.  Sonos has changed out hardware in the past without any designation in product name and gen, but not with any of the products they currently sell.  Of course, you still want to get a unit that’s aged the least, so it’s best to buy from a vendor that’s likely to move a lot of product, rather than have it sit on the shelves for a long time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The Play:3 is not designated “legacy”.

Sonos S2 overview and compatibility

I personally think that Sonos'  support for their products is superb. When you think about it, you look at a lot of companies, especially mobile phone and tablet manufacturers and they only support their devices for 2 to 3 years. A product that was released a decade ago and still receiving support to this day is unheard of these days. It's that kind of support that has convinced us to buy 3 Play speakers over the last 3 years and we are likely to buy more in the future. I just hope Sonos continue with this level of support their for products.

I agree completely. The changes and improvements I’ve seen over my period of ownership have been staggering.  It possibly helps that I came to it at a good time (not had Sonos physical controllers etc that have lost support, was using iOS app before stream from local library was possible so not too unhappy when it was removed etc). 

The trade up program as it stands is now looking like an excellent deal, certainly feels a lot better than the previous offer, and I can accept the S1/S2 split even if I’d prefer it not to be happening.  

I’m hoping to be able to buy new components in the near future and ultimately replace the legacy components I have. Waiting to see what launches and how Sonos fares in the near term - the debate about legacy support has really highlighted to me that even the limited ongoing support for that relies upon Sonos prospering following  the recent PR issues. 

Userlevel 2

Can the trade up program 30% voucher be used to buy any refurbished products sold by Sonos?

I have two Play 5’s Gen 1 and wouldn't mind buying two Play 5’s Gen 2 with the voucher.

You’d need to check the terms listed on the Sonos website, but I’m pretty sure it’s for new product only, and wouldn’t apply to refurbs.