Switch to homepod?

• 30 January 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Should I switch to the apple Homepod? it seems like the Homepod has superior sound than the Sonos One, and maybe later on apple will release more speaker for whole house audio like sonos? I just don’t want to buy a sonos product and only get support for 5-7 years. Their stuffs are really expensive.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Should I switch to the apple Homepod? it seems like the Homepod has superior sound than the Sonos One, and maybe later on apple will release more speaker for whole house audio like sonos? I just don’t want to buy a sonos product and only get support for 5-7 years. Their stuffs are really expensive.

I wouldn't. How long will Homepod receive updates?

Imo Wait for Sonos next move (in May they say )then decide.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I wouldn't. How long will Homepod receive updates?

Imo Wait for Sonos next move (in May they say )then decide.

I’m not sure about the longevity of the Homepod, I would say around 5 to 7 years also? Maybe longer because it has the A8 chip, I think it should be powerful enough.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Apple has a history of supporting their products for a long time. Longer than most.   The HomePod has better sound than the Ones easily and fills room with 360 sound. I prefer it to the Play 5 too. The microphones are amazing. My only complaint is it is bass heavily and there is no eq. 

Apple has a history of supporting their products for a long time. Longer than most.   The HomePod has better sound than the Ones easily and fills room with 360 sound. I prefer it to the Play 5 too. The microphones are amazing. My only complaint is it is bass heavily and there is no eq. 

Really? I purchased an iPod Touch 6 in 2018. It’s stuck on iOS 12.4.4 for it’s not eligible for an upgrade to iOS 13.

I have 2011 Apple router hardware that still works just as when new - very well - and gets security updates even now, although Apple has quit that line of business.

Even so, I would not touch HomePod, as I would now not touch Sonos or any other make for fully integrated smart speakers unless these are for less than USD 100. Sonos may have killed that business model; regardless of how that prediction turns out, I am done with it.

Even so, I would not touch HomePod, as I would now not touch Sonos or any other make for fully integrated smart speakers unless these are for less than USD 100. Sonos may have killed that business model; regardless of how that prediction turns out, I am done with it.

Totally agree… The one thing that this debacle has shown us is the advisability of splitting the the short term swiftly updating tech tech from the more expensive quality sound systems.

@amun : I would extend that beyond sound systems to all home durables. Imagine sending a working fridge to the landfill because its integrated web interface is obsolete...

These days the folks on this community do have a particular overwhelming sense for drama. Come May we will see what we will get.

@amun : I would extend that beyond sound systems to all home durables. Imagine sending a working fridge to the landfill because its integrated web interface is obsolete...

Yes, I’ve avoided that type of tech so far, and I’ll certainly carry on doing so now :wink:

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Really? I purchased an iPod Touch 6 in 2018. It’s stuck on iOS 12.4.4 for it’s not eligible for an upgrade to iOS 13.

Yes really.  It is well known that Apple supports their hardware longer than just about anyone else and has great support in general.  The iPod Touch 6 is an anomaly because the processors is incompatible with iOS 13.  The exception proves the rule.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

These days the folks on this community do have a particular overwhelming sense for drama. Come May we will see what we will get.

That is true but man Sonos telling people to wait until May did not help their case at all.