Answered

Sonos Play 5_2nd Gen Defective WiFi Cards?

• 26 January 2018
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 7
I've read several posts about the Play 5_2nd Gen suddenly having problems due to a defective WiFi card. Although it appears that Sonos has been replacing the defective units (when notified) it still gives me pause. Do I need to be concerned about my two (2) out of warranty Play 5 2nd Gen's developing the same issue? If it is widespread I would hope that Sonos would issue a re-call to replace the units similar to what Microsoft did with the 1st Gen Xbox One units manufactured in a certain lot. Can anyone at Sonos elaborate?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 26 January 2018, 02:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi AJ, there isn't a widespread issue warranting a recall, so don't worry there. If anything does come up, even outside warranty, feel free to give us a call and we'll do what we can to help.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the reply Ryan. Wi-Fi always seems to be the issue :8 LOL. Like I said in my topic...Don't Blame Sonos...Every time. Cheers!
Badge
I've just had this happen to my second Play 5, no problem getting it replaced by Sonos. Does seem to be more widespread then Sonos will admit.
I’m not all that sure that they have to “admit” anything, if they replace them. Especially as it seems to be a relatively low number, in my mind. I think maybe a couple of dozen posted here, versus maybe 10,000 or more sold, as an estimate. That’s a relatively low percentage.

However, the cost to Sonos to deal with the customer service, and process of replacing them for folks who have experienced the issue must be fairly high. I can well imagine some strong words at the least being had with the parts supplier, if not a complete replacement with a new supplier.
I have a SONOS 5 which has a similar issue. It usually is connected directly to the network with a cable and I recently wanted to move it to a new location and have tried all of the suggest fixed and just hit a brick wall. Starts with flashing Orange light! I then carry out a factory reset and will get the unit into 'pairing mode' with a flashing green light, try to pair and end up back with a flashing Orange light. Diagnostics just sent 1727010877. Please help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Once you have done a factory reset you have made things worse, hopefully the Sonos folks can help.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Factory resetting any of your Sonos products is not recommended and should not be done in an attempt to resolve an issue.
My wireless must be bad also. I just submitted a diagnostic. Will Sonos be in contact or do I have to call them?
My wireless must be bad also. I just submitted a diagnostic. Will Sonos be in contact or do I have to call them?

You have to post the reference number of the diagnostic here, then they will get back to you.
Just posted a diagnostic as my Play:5 Gen 2 has stopped connecting wirelessly. Number is 993146025
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just posted a diagnostic as my Play:5 Gen 2 has stopped connecting wirelessly. Number is 993146025

Hi richchappelow,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. It does look like there's something going on with the wireless card on your PLAY:5. Please reach out to our phone team for help. You can find their number and hours here.
I also just had a WiFi card go bad on a gen 2 Play:5 after roughly 16 months. I have to say the tech line support I received was pretty great, but I'm disappointed at the cost to replace (being only 4 months or so out of warranty). Agreed with Airgetlam's comment above that a handful of issues out of thousands of units shipped may be nothing, but if there really is a more fundamental problem I'd hope Sonos would come clean. Aside from this blip I couldn't be happier with the system. Here's hoping it's just my bad luck comin' around again.
Badge
Hi, one of my Play 5:2 gets a similar issue:
- it will work on RJ-45, will update, will play.
- It will stop working while disconnecting RJ-45.
- It will not connect when restarting.
- It will reconnect when re-connecting RJ-45.
Error report: 245003525

I have 6 Sonos devices (2xPlay 3, 2xPlay 5:2, Sonos connect:amp, Sonos connect) on my network at the moment (own 8 with 2xSonos Play:1), I have to mention that the Sonos Connect (RJ-45 wired) has a tendency to reconnect. what I notice is
- the white LED is dimmed when it's working
- the white LED is full bright when it's faulty
faulty = stop being visible in the app. That can happen from every 5 minutes to every month, but at the end, always [dis]connect ;)

> I can try to send a report right after a default but it should be visible in the report mentioned above.

Regards, LG
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, one of my Play 5:2 gets a similar issue:
- it will work on RJ-45, will update, will play.
- It will stop working while disconnecting RJ-45.
- It will not connect when restarting.
- It will reconnect when re-connecting RJ-45.
Error report: 245003525

I have 6 Sonos devices (2xPlay 3, 2xPlay 5:2, Sonos connect:amp, Sonos connect) on my network at the moment (own 8 with 2xSonos Play:1), I have to mention that the Sonos Connect (RJ-45 wired) has a tendency to reconnect. what I notice is
- the white LED is dimmed when it's working
- the white LED is full bright when it's faulty
faulty = stop being visible in the app. That can happen from every 5 minutes to every month, but at the end, always [dis]connect ;)

> I can try to send a report right after a default but it should be visible in the report mentioned above.

Regards, LG

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like there's an issue with the wireless card on your Family Room Play:5. Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Badge
Thank you Jeff! Did you have a chance looking into the Sonos Connect wired-disconnection problem?
Mine just failed after months of use...
sonos support asked for diagnostic, confirmed a wifi card issue...
will be sending back once i get RMA setup.
thx, sonos!
Hi AJ, there isn't a widespread issue warranting a recall, so don't worry there. If anything does come up, even outside warranty, feel free to give us a call and we'll do what we can to help.
I had a Play 5 wifi card fail last summer. The replacement Play 5 card failed yesterday. Both were the unit hard wired to my ethernet. I had to pay for the replacement at a reasonable fee since it was out of warranty. The second one is still under warranty. I am thinking I should change the ethernet connection to an non-Play 5 unit. Is this recommended? Are there similar problems with a BOOST?
You can connect any Sonos device to your ethernet cable, and they will all act in the same manner as a BOOST, creating the SonosNet network for all Sonos devices to connect to.
Thanks Airgetlam. Your answer focuses my question better. I only have an ethernet connection near two Play 5's. The one that actually has the ethernet connection has failed twice -- the other has not failed. I could fit a Boost into the same location. Do other Sonos devices have a similar record of wifi card failures? I have a Play 3 and a Connect that have never failed. I prefer to keep a mesh wifi network.
Not that I'm aware of. A BOOST is a great device, I've had one since they came out, and it works spectacularly.
Does a Boost meed to be separated from my AT&T Pace Modem/WiFi? Right now I have a Play 5 hard wired to my ethernet that is only 3 ft from the AT&T box and it works.
3 feet is generally what I recommend. I'd be concerned if it was sitting on top of it, as all electrical devices generate a certain amount of interference, one of the things the FCC tries to regulate, but I'd think you're fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've found 3 to 4 feet to be enough to keep my Sonos happy when it has to be next to an electrically noisy device or another Sonos device.

I too love my Boost but if shopping today I'd seriously consider using another Play 1 or Sonos One instead as having sound where it sits would be nice and the extra cost isn't much. The radios are apparently close in performance with the Boost having a bit more noise reduction from what I recall reading.
Userlevel 2
The wireless just went on mine too. Diagnostic# 1115617587.
Really bummed because I love this system so much - sad to see this flaw.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The wireless just went on mine too. Diagnostic# 1115617587.
Really bummed because I love this system so much - sad to see this flaw.

Hi CanuckGal,

Your report shows an issue with the wireless on your Play:5. Our phone team can help out, please give us a call. You can find our phone number here.