Question

Satellite wireless speakers to an existing amp

I am looking to connect wireless satellite speakers in multiple (2 or 3) additional locations in my house. My current system is a Technics surround amp with 5 channel Bose speakers and a subwoofer (not wireless). I have wiFi in the house. Can I get a device that will connect to this amp and generate a wireless signal to wireless speakers? It seems to me there are two places on my amp to which I could connect such a device: 1) the "record out" jacks (which of course is a non-amplified signal, or, 2) the headphone jack which is an amplified signal. is this what your "Connect" product does? Please advise what my options are

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Yes, you can use a CONNECT to get the music from your existing amp. You would then need additional sonos speakers as your wireless speakers in the additional rooms. The additional speakers could play it's own source or whatever is on your amp as you chose. If you were thinking you could get a CONNECT and it would send audio to another brand of wireless speakers...that won't work.

You may find it more useful to use a different configuration, as Sonos sources music rather well. The audio out from the CONNECT would be an input for your AMP. Thus your speaker setup from that room plays whatever you specify in the Sonos app. Again the other satellite sonos speakers can play the same or something different. I think this where Sonos is used best. The one downside to this is that if your amp is currently used for tv sound, you wouldn't be able to play the audio from the tv to your satellite speakers.

I've never tried it, but it may be possible to connect audio in and out to your AMP, that way you could have the best of both worlds. Seems like that would create a loop though, and maybe not recommended. Maybe someone else can advice on that.
but it may be possible to connect audio in and out to your AMP, that way you could have the best of both worlds.
This can be done but depends on the amp features; what is a needed is a tape in/out pair of socket pairs on the amp. Wire the tape out to the Connect inputs and the tape in to the Connect outputs. The tape out sockets may be called REC in which case use these, and any audio in jacks for the tape in, wired to Connect outputs.
And your amp needs to have a stereo or direct feature that bypasses surround sound DSP because the latter adds delays that will cause a sync issue between the Bose speakers and Sonos wireless speakers that are grouped to play with the Connect.
Thanks for these timely responses. It appears from your descriptions that what I want to do will work fine, as my amp has the correct features as you describe them:
- Tape play (In) jacks and Tape Rec (out) jacks, neither of which are in use now
- The amp can be operated without surround. It actually has 3 modes, called "Center," (i.e., 2 speakers) "3 stereo" (i.e., left right and center speakers) and "surround" (all 5 speakers)
Oh, one other item --- my TV sound is connected to one of the inputs on the amp. It's connected to an input called "TV/VCR2" using RCA phono plugs, same as my CD player is connected. My amp does not have HDMI input, as it predates that feature. I mention this because, since it is connected that way, I don't see any reason why the TV sound can't play through the "connect" and the SONOS speakers.
Try it and let us know if it does not! You may have a sync issue with the picture and sound though.
Ideally, buy the Connect on a returnable basis.
Yes, but the sync issue probably won't be noticeable since the satellite speakers are going to be located in a different room.
I am not so sure; what when the signal is routed to the existing speakers via the tape loop?
Folks, I also have the option to route my incoming TV audio directly from my cable box into my stereo amp, bypassing the HDTV completely (I used to do that, as did many if us no doubt, before we had an HDTV). Will that in your opinion, prevent any of the potential difficulties we're talking about here? Comments?
My suggestion remains: try a Connect on a returnable basis. Sonos and many retailers offer this facility.
Agreed. Try it.

To answer you're question though, no. It shouldn't make a difference.

You could take the output from the cable box or tv into the Connect, followed by Connect to the amp. The problem with that is that you're likely going to get a significant delay between the video and audio. As well, you won't have any surround sound from the tv/cable source. So it's a bad idea...nevermind.
Given what we do and don't want to do with the Wireless speakers, I am not concerned about delay between video and audio, nor am I concerned about not getting surround. We're looking to locate a few (2 or 3) wireless speakers around the house in order to have music --- which does not need to be in surround --- in other rooms. We have two sources of music: CD's and the variety of music channels that come with our cable TV (Optimum Cablevision) service. The TV music channels don't broadcast in surround so that's not an issue. To listen to surround sound we would locate ourselves in our "great room" when theTV and Bose surround speakers already are, and we wouldn't be using the wireless remote speakers to watch TV.

I am learning some fascinating stuff in this discussion, by the way, and I appreciate your taking the time and thought to go over all this with me. If you have some other thoughts, pro or con, let me hear 'em!!

Incidentally, you will note I didn't say "FM Radio" among our music sourses. The FM reception is so lousy where we live (northwestern Westchester County New York) that we don't bother, unfortunately
If you're not doing any TV watching with these, there's absolutely no reason not to get the Connect as Melvimbe and Kumar confirmed.

The only concern at that point is if you're playing a CD on your amp, and feeding the data to the Sonos Connect, and thus to all the rest of the speakers, there will be that minor delay of 70ms between the sound from the amp's speakers and the Sonos speakers. If they're in different rooms, and can't be heard simultaneously, it's not an issue. I have a pair in my kitchen which occasionally have this issue when I'm watching TV, but since I can't hear the Living room at the same time as the kitchen, I basically don't notice it at all. I would suspect at some point you may end up getting rid of the amp altogether, as well as the BOSE stuff, and replacing it with Sonos gear. It's quite lovely to live without all the extra wires :)

Bu the way, adding Sonos speakers to the system will mean that you likely can listen to your FM stations, via TuneIn, across the internet connection. And not only your local stations, but many stations around the world.