Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

I have just added the Sonos Playbar to my samsung smart TV and have discovered the lack of DTS functionality through reading this forum. I find it disappointing that the best we can get is a stereo effect through the playbar?  My originial search was based on identifying a way of using my existing Onkyo nr509 AV Amp with the playbar however that appears to be a no go option as well. The concept of buying and adding the playbar as a step change to the surround sound system I had has left me feeling I have done the wrong thing?  Slightly cheated in a sense too, I hear what Sonos are saying that the majority of content is streamed and agree we use netflix however I also enjoy having a collection of Bluray discs and feel Sonos should fulfil both requirements.  If anyone can give us an  idea as to when this may be re-considered as it looks like Sonos have closed the subject down from reading through the forums.  Do I revert to my old system and return the Playbar to John Lewis could buy a couple Play3's instead?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Our stance on DTS support hasn’t changed. The PLAYBAR doesn’t support DTS and we have no plan to add it in the future. The main thread regarding DTS support is found here, which has our standing official response and some background information.

If DTS is a requirement for you, there are some straightforward ways to get the audio playing on your system by transcoding DTS to Dolby Digital. Note that your TV must be capable of passing a Dolby Digital signal through its optical port.

• Certain Blu-ray players are capable of converting DTS to Dolby Digital output during playback. Some players capable of this conversion are the Samsung BD-F6500, Samsung BD-F5900, and Samsung BD-F5700.
  • In addition, the Xbox One can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1. More information for setting up the Xbox One can be found here.
If DTS is a must-have and you don’t want to use a workaround, the PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you.

We support discussion, and will leave these threads available for conversation and suggestions. However, we also want to be very clear that we have no plans at this time to implement DTS support for the PLAYBAR.

At least tell us the reason why you won't support DTS. Is it hardware limitation? Home networking ompatibility issues? Conflict of company interest? Whatever politics it may be, at least just tell us. If you're part of some anti-DTS license group and want to be the big boy to stand up to DTS fees, that's fine, at least just let us know. We'll even support you. If your data shows most people buy Sonos to play music and only 0.1% would use DTS but DTS wants you to pay a license fee on all speakers sold, again, just tell us the honest truth. Hiding this just makes Sonos seem like another lowest common denominator product company.

I know Sonos has made it clear they have no plans to implement DTS. I think it's also safe to say many of us won't be buying or recommendding another Sonos product until you can provide some honest truth to why DTS isn't supported because so far all comments by Sonos has just been BS.
Userlevel 3
It's amazing that I always considered sonos to be high end but since investing in a rather expensive system I have managed to put most of my friends off buying them. Once you explain the many limitations its a no brainier that they are just not worth the hassle and there are cheaper and better systems out there that are much more flexible. Now go out and spread the word and we'll see if they still act so dogmatic.
Userlevel 1
I was still hoping DTS support would come around some day but this seems pretty clear. They simply don't want to support a standard audio format. Sonos, don't advertise your products as a high end home cinema system because today you confirmed again that it is cleary not and will not be one in the future. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It's amazing that I always considered sonos to be high end but since investing in a rather expensive system I have managed to put most of my friends off buying them. Once you explain the many limitations its a no brainier that they are just not worth the hassle and there are cheaper and better systems out there that are much more flexible. Now go out and spread the word and we'll see if they still act so dogmatic.
Same here. I'm committed to explaining the limitations to anyone considering Sonos. If they buy when forewarned that's fine, but all I've informed have gone elsewhere....
This is the reason for me not to buy SONOS player. Have a lot of SONOS in the house for music etc but now with my 4k UHD TV I will NOT buy the playbar, subwoofer & satellite speakers for my 5.1 surround to go with the TV. Looking to buy e.g. Harman Kardon. 
Userlevel 1
Which Harman kardon are you looking at Marc?
Looking at either the BDS 680 or 880. Alternatively the AVR 370 with JBL speakers (have that set up in my home cinema in my basement and very satisfied). 
Userlevel 1
Badge
There's no home cinema capable wireless multiroom solution from Harman. Their Omni series delivers wireless multiroom HD audio but it's not meant for home cinema setups.
Userlevel 1
I think he was being sarcastic about the last statement. DTS is going to be a massive issue very soon, as all Bluray movies will be encoded in DTS. As I stated about though the issue isn't the Playbar, it's your TV not supporting Pass-Through. The optical output on most TVs is Dolby 2.0 and the Playbar decodes it from there
The problem IS the playbar if sonos recommends to use a HDMI switch. I got one and it works perfectly. Every signal is passed to the playbar. If you use Netflix app or Plex app on a smart tv, it is considered OTA and then your optical out port on the tv even passes all signals. In latter case you don't need a switch and the playbar is the issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
But those HK BDS are just home theater in a box solutions. Wired speakers and no multiroom. The Blu-ray disc is integrated into the receiver and features a rear fan. I would at least take a look at LG's Music Flow system or Bose Lifestyle first.
Userlevel 1
You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. They have issues that we can see but do they know something we don't.? Is there a new format that will replace DTS? Is it just a licensing fee issue? I don't know. What I do know is I will never have a wired home theater again. Keep us posted Sonos. You do have loyal customers that love the product.
Userlevel 1
You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. They have issues that we can see but do they know something we don't.? Is there a new format that will replace DTS? Is it just a licensing fee issue? I don't know. What I do know is I will never have a wired home theater again. Keep us posted Sonos. You do have loyal customers that love the product.
Have you tried to buy a blu-ray recently?? Have a look on the back and tell me how many are in DTS master audio. It's the superior format and it's here to stay. And even if it isn't, say, Dolby Atmos becomes movie standard - Sonos doesn't even decode the current Dolby TrueHD. 

Samsung have Shape, LG have music flow. LG have made a big point of being able to decode DTS, and their playbar has a HDMI output AND input, so their multi-room setup will actually be a true 5.1. The sound is great but the app at the moment is terrible in it's first iteration. Give it a year and it will be much improved. Sonos have the market still, but it won't be for long at this rate.
Userlevel 1
You talk about innovation and still buy DVD's Streaming is the future and Sonos saw that years ago. Get on board with followers. Go ahead.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Here here Joe, wireless is the selling point for me and multi room .
Userlevel 1
Joe if you stream HD content most tv's will pass the sound (5.1) to the playbar since streaming will be 'over the air'. How is your comment helping here?
Userlevel 1
lol it's blu-ray, not DVD. Just a bit of a difference. People buy blu-rays for lossless audio and superior picture. 
Besides, many streaming services connect to the TV via HDMI (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast) which means Dolby audio will be downmixed to 2.0 out of the optical port of the TV anyway. 

You sound like someone who would be fine with the 'fake' surround that the Playbar mixes with the 2.0 signal, and that's fine. Many people don't mind. There are those of us though with higher quality audio in mind, and setting down over 2k on an audio system that advertises itself as 5.1 (which is clearly a lie) means we expect certain standards from what was an industry leader.
Userlevel 1
My TV passes DD 5.1. And if I needed that kind of superior sound I would buy a wired system. I don't mean to upset anyone. I did my reaserch before I bought. I knew the systems limitations and then bought it for what it is. I appreciate the simplicity and wireless multi room capability.
Userlevel 1
That's fair enough. You are, in fact, the perfect customer for the playbar, as your TV passes the signal and you only stream content. Unfortunately there are far too many TVs that don't pass the signal; has nothing to do with the quality of the tv, more often the brand. Most Sony's, for example, pass the signal, Samsung do sometimes with a firmware update, and as far as I know Panasonic do not.
Userlevel 1
Love my Sony. Toslink has been around for a very long time. HDMI keeps changing. Time to get the TV manufacturers to fix their problem of passing quality signals through. As soon as Sonos conformas the HDMI will be out if date.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Refreshing - someone that researches and buys what is right for them!

Ok I shouldn't say that as I know a lot of times when people come and complain they were told incorrect information by some sales rep. at a store.
Yes but you do realise that most people who are buying sonos products are also buying a new to and most if not all NEW TVS are able to pass dts signals. So really it's seems a bit of a cop out as to everyone it looks like you can't be bothered to pay for the licensing. In reality it would probably cost each sonos owner about 10p if you passed the cost onto us. No one from sonos has given us a reason other than most OLDER TVS won't pass dts. If the majority of your customers would appreciate dts then would it not be a good idea to listen to us???
Dear Ryan, your evaluation was taken nearly year ago. Don't you think that is time to re-evaluate it?
As many other I can't recommend sonos to my friends as it has such an issue with nowadays sound standards.
I like sonos (after all I spent £1.5k) and have made myself a workaround to decode DTS to DD, but on the other hand it is a shame that such an expensive products have such limited functionality.
I still believe that DTS will be available with next firmware upgrade.
You are correct most TVs do not pass through DTS however almost all blu-ray movies only output DTS if the playbar could decode DTS you could use like me an optical splitter to switch between Sky ,TV and Blu-ray I have the top Panasonic model player cost me £500 but it cant convert DTS. I also have a massive Blu-ray collection that I cant get 5.1 surround sound from. Sonus is a very good product but when an alternative arrives and it will, you will loose a lot of valuable customers.
Badge
Lover can - I like your optimism, but seriously - don't hold your breath..... Sonos have shown such a level of contempt for their customers it's amazing. David - it's already starting to happen. I just bought my first alternative device to Sonos and will be testing it out over Christmas. I expect a complete replacement of all my sonos' in the new year.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ryan, tell your marketing people to have the guts to be honest in their advertising. You clearly can't play all the music on earth. Clearly not simple to set up (you need an optical and/or hdmi switch). You don't provide full-theatre hifi sound. You don't give us the power to play anything and make it sound amazing. It doesn't easily connect to your tv to play everything. Your web pages should have asterisks and small text at the bottom of each page. Sonos is deceitful. I dare you to put your comment on your website and a warning that if you wish to use Bluray then "this may not be the product for your needs". I dare you.