Answered

Listening to Sonos playlist (bluetooth heaphones)

• 25 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Apologies if this has been asked previoiusly - I did search but couldn’t find a thread. Is there any way to listen to a Sonos playlist on a pair of bluetooth headphones? I bought my son the pair of Bose QC35 wireless headphones for Christmas that’s he’s been begging for but I belated realise his playlists are all on the Sonos. We don’t have a Connect - but even if I did that would necessitate rigging it up to a PC and pairing the headphones with that. I was rather hoping I could stream the audio via his iPad but I believe that’s not possible. Is there a smart way to do this I’m missing? 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 26 November 2019, 03:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The Sonos app is a controller, not a media player. To play content from Sonos to Bluetooth headphones you’d need a Sonos player which could drive a Bluetooth transmitter, such as Connect or Port. 

Badge

Yes, I’m aware the App is a controller hence my acknowledging it won’t work. Does the Connect or Port allow bluetooth headphones to pair directly with it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

No, it doesn’t.  You’d need a Bluetooth sender, which are harder to find, plus of course a Port.

Bluetooth transmitters are inexpensive, and readily available. All accept analog and some also take digital optical. Connect has an optical output. 

I’ve yet to find a budget transmitter with a digital coax input so if you wanted to go from Port to transmitter without converting to analog and back you’d also need a cheap coax-optical converter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I run headphones (and my hearing aids) over Bluetooth, transmitter was cheap on Amazon and plugged right into my old Zone Player. If used is an option try ebay.

If you can find a Gen 1 Play 5 they have a headphone output that will work as well.

Beware scammers and deactivated older Sonos devices.

Badge

Thanks for the responses. So basically doesn’t appear there’s a way without buying more kit. Equally it appers there’s no way to export the playlists - still it’s probably simpler create new ones and to manage in iTunes as playlists can be imported back occationally. Sonos would appear to be missing a trick here :zipper_mouth: