Answered

LG TV (32LB5600) + Play5 speaker : Audio issue RCA Y-cable / Jack

• 27 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello !

After some research, I'm a little confused. I own a LG TV (32LB5600) which has no Audio jack output and a Play5.

But which has the following outputs :
- Component IN / AV IN (L/Mono and Audio R)
or
- Optical Digital Audio Out

I tried to us a RCA Y-cable and to plug it to the Component IN / AV IN (L/Mono and Audio R) and it didn't worked at all :/

Is anybody have a solution ? Should I use my "Optical Digital Audio Out" in order to connect my TV to my Play5 ?

Thank you 🙂
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 27 March 2018, 09:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 5 requires a line IN. The connections you mentioned on your Play 5 are OUTPUTS so they don't accept an input.

You need to get your RCA audio out to your Play 5 - You can obtain RCA to Line in adapters or even buy a lead with RCA and line at the other end.

Just a note of caution - Your audio will be delayed by around 70ms from the picture which you may or may not be able to live with.
If the only audio output you have on your tv is optical (and from the pic, that looks to be the case) then you're only option is to get an optical to headphone jack convertor. You can find one online just by googling "optical to headphone jack". As Stuart pointed out though, the Play:5 is not designed to work with your tv, and there will be a delay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can convert from optical to RCA

Or you can plug into the source (such as plug your cable box - which should have analog out - into the Play:5).

Anyhow if use the optical out you need this:

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01AWBA8U8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1522155417&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=optical+to+rca&psc=1

plus one of these cable you may already have:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522155456&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca&psc=1

sounds like you already have this second cable needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In my experience unless you are really susceptible to seeing ip sync delay - a Play:5 hooked to TV doesn't exhibit enough delay to be bothersome.

As stated earlier - plug the cable you have now into the audio outputs of your cable box or BluRay player now and see if the 70ms delay bothers you at all (before going to hooking it direct to TV).
Thank you so much guys for your quick answer !
So indeed I will have to acquire an external box to convert the optical sound...

But I'm really worried about the 75ms... and I have nothing to test it (no blueray etc.) and you're many to raise the issue so I guess there's no way around this latency...

I guess I should return the product and go with an other solution 😕
What will be the best solution / speaker to connect a TV that only have an Optical Digital Audio Out and to still have the streaming by wifi ? The Playbase looks really expensive 😞