Answered

Impossible to connect my SONOS ROAM in Bluetooth

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

as I just received my SONOS ROAM I have tried many times today to get it connected in Bluetooth by following the procedure as described in that link.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989?language=fr

So I kept pressing the button at the back but the blue light never went on and as a consequence the product had been left undiscovered for my mobile phone.

Is there anyone who encountered the same issue & what should I do to get it solve.

Thanks for your help

icon

Best answer by shfawaz 22 April 2021, 23:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you set up the Roam in the Sonos app yet?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes I did.

As I was waiting for a reply I have also done a factory reset on it and re-install it from scratch.

So the SONOS ROAM is well discovered by my system already in place and works fine with the other elements but the bluetooth connection is still not working

Userlevel 7

After you power on the Roam, if you hold down the power button, do you ever hear a chime?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I do, but the only chime I hear is the one that you can hear when the ROAM is turning off.

I do, but the only chime I hear is the one that you can hear when the ROAM is turning off.

Perhaps see if the following steps helps to sort it for you.

1. Play some music to the Roam via the Sonos App, this is just to ensure it’s currently connected via WiFi. Pause the music playback with its Play/Pause button.
  2. Next check your mobile Bluetooth device-list that you plan to connect to. If the Roam is in the list already, then remove that device, just in case it is the old connection that was in use before you factory-reset the speaker.
  3. Now press and hold the rear power button on the Roam for two seconds and let go.
  4. Check the Roam then appears in your mobile Bluetooth device-list and select it in order to pair the speaker to the mobile.
  5. All being well, you should now be able to play audio to the Roam via the Bluetooth-connected mobile.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for your replies.

After infinite number of tries I eventually get the bluetooth connection working properly !

I went through the steps described by @Ken_Griffiths and maybe the fact that I turned the music on before pressing and holding the back button helped in the process...honnestly I don’t know but it works fine now.

Let juts hope that the next connection won’t get that complicated.

Thanks all for your help and your time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I had this issue too, I think the roam needs to have just been powered on or at least active and not in any sleep or power save state.

once I had powered the roam on, I immediately pressed the button for 2 seconds and finally got the blue LED

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Followed every suggestion in this thread. Still no joy. I’m a long time legacy Sonos user who know the product inside and out, and I also have a move. Can’t get the BT blue light to come on no matter what dance I do. Very frustrating Sonos!

By the way, I do hear the button-press chime, followed by the bluetooth pairing chime, still no joy. If I keep holding, I get the triple-chime power-off tone.

Followed every suggestion in this thread. Still no joy. I’m a long time legacy Sonos user who know the product inside and out, and I also have a move. Can’t get the BT blue light to come on no matter what dance I do. Very frustrating Sonos!

By the way, I do hear the button-press chime, followed by the bluetooth pairing chime, still no joy. If I keep holding, I get the triple-chime power-off tone.

What device are your pairing the Roam with? Have you tried pairing with another device?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Actually, I never got the blue pairing led to flash, always stayed white. 

UPDATE: Found that my system had an update available, installed that, and I finally was able to pair my iPhone. 

Thanks!

having the same issues here...i am able to connect my iPhone via BT settings, but initially, i’ve been trying to connect via the SONOS APP where it walks me through and it just times out each time...should i just factory reset and start over?

Also - unable to BT connect to my MacBook after many tries...any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Do we know how many Bluetooth connections roam can store?

I just got mine today, and I’m having a horrible time setting it up. It goes straight from flashing white to flashing green, and it’s not connecting to the WiFi of the place I’m at. Hopefully it will connect to the WiFi back at my dorm. If this doesn’t work, I just payed $169 for nothing.

Userlevel 1

I have many sonos products , pre ordered  ROAM , have an android , and this product simply is TOOO hard to work. Basic   cheapo speakers connect to bluetooth with my phone  easy as pie.

My wife has a brand new apple phone , same problem , it should NOT need to be part of any system ,  blue tooth should be  simple and the precedent to connecting to my greater SONOS system .

This thing  , clearly based on my experience and those above , is  just too hard . 

I will be asking for a refund. 

SONOS   if you ever read these  threads  , I would be in contact with me very fast  ……...before I review the product on other sites 

Userlevel 7

@brettyg1963 The fact that the Roam can work as a Bluetooth speaker AND on Wi-Fi with other Sonos speakers is what makes the Roam unique.

The setup process of the Roam is very simple and should take no longer than 5-10 minutes. Pairing the Roam over Bluetooth takes less than 30 seconds.

Perhaps these instructions will help: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4994?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

May be one more thing could be helpful for BT pairing…

If roam is turned on and in wifi mode, holding the power button for about 2-3 seconds until you can hear the second chime puts roam to pairing mode and the light is flashing blue. 
so far songood… ;-)

But this will only work if there is no other device near arround that already is paired with the roam. If so roam will connect to this known device and show a solid blue light instead of going to pairing mode. 
So if are in wifi mode and you want to pair a second device, either there has to be no already paired device nearby or you first have to switch roam to an active known BT connection an then start the procedure to initiate pairing mode. 
It took me one hour to find out this when i tried to pair my ipad after i had paired my iphone. ;-)

Update Roam and resolved bluetooth connection issue.

Thanks to shfawaz and ken_griffiths advice

I’ve just had this exact same thing managed to connect by WiFi but couldn’t get a blue light at all. It took about 4 hours and a speaker restore for the update to come up in the s2 app. Now it seems to be ok. Wish I had just waited rather than wasting half the day faffing with it! Sonos might want to tell people this!!

So I’ve been able to connect my Roam to bluetooth but there is a weird hiccup in the audio when playing music over bluetooth? Does anyone know how to fix this? Over wifi pairing it is fine but when listening over bluetooth it is unbearable.

Userlevel 2

Disclaimer, I am an IT Consultant. Which means I am very technically savvy. The Roam is NOT easy to use. Maybe I have a lemon, but I attempted to set up the Roam while on vacation and it timed out when connecting to the wifi I was on. Unfortunately, this was after I had completed the initial setup of the speaker. I tried a factory reset, hold down the play/pause button, press the power button, and continue to hold the play/pause button. This did absolutely nothing the light never changes. No factory reset. I tried to just then connect via Bluetooth since the speaker was “set up,” it would not go to a discoverable mode. Back on my home wifi and the speaker will still not factory reset and is not discoverable when I search. 

I had no problems connecting my Play 5 or One Sl. Why is the Roam such an issue? 

Just got the roam today. Been over 35mins trying to set it up. Read  all the replies here.

Couple of extra questions b

Does roam need an update first for bluetooth to work? No WiFi where I am at the moment so can't setup the app first or update it.

To enable Bluetooth pairing mode do you have the speaker powered off first?  

Is the flashing blue light more white than blue?

Does everyone always get a chime when ok Bluetooth mode? The only time I've heard one is when I hit the volume up button.

This seems overly complicated . I remember being very drunk at a party and pairing my phone to a Bose Bluetooth speaker immediately with no instructions, just common sense. That is my benchmark of how easy a Bluetooth device should be to setup!

Perhaps see if the following steps helps to sort it for you.

1. Play some music to the Roam via the Sonos App, this is just to ensure it’s currently connected via WiFi. Pause the music playback with its Play/Pause button.
  2. Next check your mobile Bluetooth device-list that you plan to connect to. If the Roam is in the list already, then remove that device, just in case it is the old connection that was in use before you factory-reset the speaker.
  3. Now press and hold the rear power button on the Roam for two seconds and let go.
  4. Check the Roam then appears in your mobile Bluetooth device-list and select it in order to pair the speaker to the mobile.
  5. All being well, you should now be able to play audio to the Roam via the Bluetooth-connected mobile.

This will fix the issue if anyone has experienced this problem.  Chat support could not even fix this.  Follow these steps and your Bluetooth will work.  Thanks everyone!

I was getting the chime but not the blue light and couldn’t connect to Bluetooth on my iPhone. I bought 2 Roams and the other one paired perfectly first time. I followed the advice on this forum to do a software update and the Roam then paired. Odd that 2 Roams in the same order would ship with different software...

I have successfully connected my Samsung Galaxy S20 to Roam via bluetooth in order to play music.  However, I am unable to make telephone calls (cellular or whatsapp) using Roam.  

I cannot find any explanation online as to why this is happening.

I have also tried using my iPhone 7 but the same problem occurs.

I have a UE Boom speaker and this problem does not occur on that device.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I have already tried restoring factory settings.

Badge +17

I have successfully connected my Samsung Galaxy S20 to Roam via bluetooth in order to play music.  However, I am unable to make telephone calls (cellular or whatsapp) using Roam.  

I cannot find any explanation online as to why this is happening.

I have also tried using my iPhone 7 but the same problem occurs.

I have a UE Boom speaker and this problem does not occur on that device.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I have already tried restoring factory settings.

Sonos Roam cannot be used to make or receive calls nor be used as a speakerphone, so what you’re describing is expected.