Question

How do I connect Sonos AMP to Samsung TV?

• 4 June 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Amp upstairs with speakers and Samsung TV downstairs. I cannot get the Sonos AMP near the TV so that I could connect it to the TV using HDMI. I am told that I would need wireless AV to connect my TV to Sonos. I do not know which wireless AV or the specifications that I should be looking for to connect to the TV?

Or, are there any other options to connect?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m not sure who suggested a wireless A/V solution, I’m not sure what that solution would be. Basically, you need to wire the Sonos Amp to the TV with that HDMI ARC cable. If someone sold you on the concept that the two could be connected wirelessly, they either need to refund your money, or provide a solution for you, which you could share here.

If I were to hazard a guess, whomever gave you this information was misinformed. 

Thank you Bruce. Looks like I have been misinformed. :pensive:

Also, if I get an Apple TV, would I be able to get the output of the TV from the speakers?

You could conceivably connect the Apple TV via AirPlay 2 to the Sonos Amp, and get stereo only, not a 5.1 signal. It might be slightly delayed, too, when I connect my Apple TV to my Sonos PLAY:5s, there’s a slight delay for processing, I assume of the AirPlay 2 signal. The Amp May have a better/faster processor, but since you’re doing something the system isn’t really designed for, I wouldn’t put money on it.

Why not put a Sonos sound bar of some type at the TV, instead of attempting to use a device a floor away to drive TV connected speakers? All of the reviews I’ve seen about the new Sonos Arc have been outstanding, although I don’t have one myself.