Answered

Bricked play 5

• 24 January 2020
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

When my perfectly fine Play 5 gets bricked, will it still function as a "dumb" speaker?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 January 2020, 23:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Who’s going to “brick” your PLAY:5? 

If you trade it in for the 30% discount on a new device, then no, it won’t work as a “dumb” speaker.

If you’re referring to the “legacy” change coming in the May time frame, it will continue to work exactly as it has been, there will just be fewer updates to it. But it won’t be “bricked”. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

What do you mean by "dumb speaker"? Are you saying that if I recycle the Play 5, it won't even work with line-in? What about if I perform a factory reset during the 21 day count-down and never reconnect it to my network, will it really stop functioning for line-in? 

Correct, I do mean that, at least to the best of my knowledge, once you’ve started the trade up process, after the 21 day sequence, the speaker will not work with the line in. 

Again, to my knowledge, even a factory reset won’t stop that process. I assume that Sonos means when you “trade up”, you’re no longer supposed to have use of the speaker, otherwise it’s not a trade, it’s just up you still using the speaker for your own purposes, and still getting the 30% discount. But that’s my opinion, and I don’t speak or work for Sonos.

What I mean by a “dumb” speaker is the opposite of a “smart” speaker, i.e. one that is controlled by a computer built in to the speaker, like the Sonos is. Amazon and Google speakers are slightly less “smart” because the majority of what they do in terms of processing is mostly in the cloud. The Sonos, on the other hand, came out substantially earlier, and has a Linux computer built in, along with the necessary CPU and memory necessary for the speaker to do all of the work. Which is why the controller app is only a remote control, talking to the system actually running on the speaker.

If you want to continue to use the speaker, don’t trade it in. The line in will continue to work. If you trade it in, it won’t, but you’ll get the 30% discount. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you. I am recycling my Play 5 and the 21 day clock has started for me. As part of this process, I reasonably that it would be deactivated from my network, but given that the line-in is a hard-wire connector, I assumed it would continue to work, especially in light of Mr. Spence’s blog clarification that stated “...when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them...

That would be for a product on the legacy software, not a device you have traded in. Please reread the terms and conditions you agreed to, plus the warnings that you clicked through when submitting your device for the trade in credit. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The whole thing is a farce!

I took the 30 percent and went for a new play 5. Its marginally better imho. I've dumped a perfectly fine Gen 1 Play 5 and given Sonos my money, based on the fact that i was told my full system wouldn't receive updates if i keep a legacy unit.

Just to add that there’s now backtracking talk and statements from sonos talking about keeping legacy units separate from modern units so updates keep going.

I want my brick schedule revoked so that I can keep my old Play 5. 

Gesture of goodwill from sonos

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

What do you mean by "dumb speaker"? Are you saying that if I recycle the Play 5, it won't even work with line-in? What about if I perform a factory reset during the 21 day count-down and never reconnect it to my network, will it really stop functioning for line-in? 

Yes I know that.

I took the 30 percent upgrade offer

Userlevel 2
Badge

When I traded-in (recycled) my Play 5, I fully understood that it would be deactivated and would not be able to join my Sonos network given that it’s legacy technology, with Sonos providing justification as to why it cannot mix with the modern units. However, it was never made clear that the physical line-in connector would be disabled as well. It’s a hard-wire connector and it’s remarkable that Sonos has truly bricked the device because disabling the line-in connector was wholly unnecessary.

This just confirms that 5 years ago, I did not buy a Play 5 - it turns-out that I was just renting it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Yes agree with all your points.

I'll also add that like myself many would have took the trade up option because it was made clear that mixing legacy with modern units meant no updates.

If it transpires that Sonos now change this stance (good move) and allow modern units to continue being updated with legacy units still in use, then we've been truly mislead!

We've spent hundreds of pounds to rent a play 5 for 3 years in my instance and then had to dish out another 349 for their latest and greatest based on false misleading and disorganised policy.

It stinks!

When I traded-in (recycled) my Play 5, I fully understood that it would be deactivated and would not be able to join my Sonos network given that it’s legacy technology, with Sonos providing justification as to why it cannot mix with the modern units. However, it was never made clear that the physical line-in connector would be disabled as well. It’s a hard-wire connector and it’s remarkable that Sonos has truly bricked the device because disabling the line-in connector was wholly unnecessary.

This just confirms that 3 years ago, I did not buy a Play 5 - it turns-out that I was just renting it.

If you bought it 3 years ago, you bought it used.  Play:5 Gen 1 hasn't been sold since 2015.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I bought the Play 5 new directly from Sonos. I don't remember the exact date, but I edited my post to say "5 years ago". Alternatively, the point I'm trying to make could be stated as "This just confirms that I did not buy a Play 5 - it turns-out that I was just renting it. ​​​​​​"

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Same here. I bought a Play 5, Play 3 and two Play 1s

Shortly after the new Play 5 was released.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This just confirms that 3 years ago, I did not buy a Play 5 - it turns-out that I was just renting it.

If you bought it 3 years ago, you bought it used.  Play:5 Gen 1 hasn't been sold since 2015.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Your correct 

This just confirms that 5 years ago, I did not buy a Play 5 - it turns-out that I was just renting it.

The Sonos page where you select the device you wish to trade in clearly states that the third step in the process is “Recycle - Take deactivated product to a certified e-recycling facility.”  

The terms and conditions mention that the product is to be recycled multple times.  Most importantly:

NOTE: ANY QUALIFYING PRODUCTS YOU PLACE IN RECYCLE MODE WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION 21 DAYS FOLLOWING CONFIRMATION OF THE RECYCLE PROCESS IN THE SONOS APP.

I bought the Play 5 new directly from Sonos. I don't remember the exact date, but I edited my post to say "5 years ago". Alternatively, the point I'm trying to make could be stated as "This just confirms that I did not buy a Play 5 - it turns-out that I was just renting it. ​​​​​​"

If you consider owning a device for a length of time, then being able to trade in for cash, a discount, or something else of value to be ‘renting’, then yes, you rented it.   I don’t see why that is a bad thing.

Userlevel 2
Badge

There is no confusion whatsoever in my mind that Sonos will fully brick my Play 5 after a 21 day period, and I fully understand that I agreed to those terms. My point is that their justification for stopping updates does not justify disabling the line-in port. 

The bottom line is that Sonos has the power to do whatever they want. They also have the power to brick my Play 5 (Gen 2) at their whim,  just because you CAN do this to your customers, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The line in port isn’t hard wired to the amplifiers, it is hooked to the control board and switched to be the sound source by software. Same for the volume switch.

With no running software there is no way to use the line in.

There is no confusion whatsoever in my mind that Sonos will  my fully brick my Play 5 after a 21 day period, and I fully understand that I agreed to those terms.

Not sure why you said it was not clear then, but ok.

My point is that their justification for stopping updates does not justify disabling the line-in port. 

Stopping updates does not disable the line-in port.  Your acceptance of the trade in program is what did that.  You could have kept your Play:5 and continued to use the line in port.  When Sonos stops updates in May, the line in would continue...as would all the other currently supported features.  Sonos even promised to provide bug fixes as long as they could, given the older hardware.

The bottom line is that Sonos has the power to do whatever they want. They also have the power to brick my Play 5 (Gen 2) at their whim,  just because you CAN do this to your customers, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. 

But Sonos has never said they are going to brick your play 5 (gen 2).  It’s not even something they offer to do with your approval through the trade in program.    Did you mean to say Gen 1?  That would make a little more sense, but again, it’s not being bricked unless you enter the trade in program voluntarily...which is not ‘at their whim’.

I took the 30 percent and went for a new play 5. Its marginally better imho. I've dumped a perfectly fine Gen 1 Play 5 and given Sonos my money, based on the fact that i was told my full system wouldn't receive updates if i keep a legacy unit.

Sonos didn’t announce that a system would not receive updates until about 5 days ago.  You entered the trade in program and got a new play:5 since in 5 days time?  

Just to add that there’s now backtracking talk and statements from sonos talking about keeping legacy units separate from modern units so updates keep going.

The latest talk is that Sonos would work it out so that you could maintain two separate systems in your home, one legacy and one modern. That actually isn’t backtracking as it was mentioned from the very beginning.  I have not seen any official annoucement stating Sonos would allow legacy and modern products to be in the same system and still receive regular updates.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sonos didn’t announce that a system would not receive updates until about 5 days ago.  You entered the trade in program and got a new play:5 since in 5 days time?  

The latest talk is that Sonos would work it out so that you could maintain two separate systems in your home, one legacy and one modern. That actually isn’t backtracking as it was mentioned from the very beginning.  I have not seen any official annoucement stating Sonos would allow legacy and modern products to be in the same system and still receive regular updates.

Yes 

Got the offer earlier this week, traded up and received the new Play 5 Friday.

Userlevel 2
Badge

>The latest talk is that Sonos would work it out so that you could maintain two separate systems in your home, one legacy and one modern. 

I'm not sure how I feel about that given that I have already recycled my old Play 5. Perhaps Sonos will agree to re-enable (unbrick) my recycled unit for a "small" fee. Let's be clear that Sonos could bring my recycled Play 5 back to life anytime they choose. ​​​

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

They need to revoke the bricking foc and leave it to us to decide what to do with it. Loyal Sonos users such as myself have jumped in and upgraded because we want the system updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Bricking is optional, it only happens after multiple warnings as you progress through the Trade Up process. You choose to keep what you have or brick it for a 30% discount on any Sonos or bundle.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Bricking is optional, it only happens after multiple warnings as you progress through the Trade Up process. You choose to keep what you have or brick it for a 30% discount on any Sonos or bundle.

And since that time, information from the Sonos CEO suggests that the rules might change, making the need to recycle/upgrade less desirable now. But some of us pushed that irrevocable magic button based on the infamous email that we all received. 

Claiming that we made our choice, so we should now live with it is disingenuous. I was formally explained of the impact on my system if I kept my old Play 5. If that formal explanation becomes invalid, I want to roll-back my decision to upgrade.