Bluetooth headphones connecting to Sonos

• 4 May 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I've recently bought a sony tv that won't let me use bluetooth headphones to watch!
I am wanting to buy a sonos system for it, but was wondering if anyone knows if i can connect the bluetooth headphones (beats btw) to the sonos, so I can watch tv at night without disturbing anyone?!

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

KGB,

There is no Bluetooth built-in to Sonos products, but some (not all) products like the Connect and Play-5 (gen1) do have a headphone socket that can be utilised to pass audio to a third party Bluetooth transmitter, but there will be very 'slight' delays in the audio and it would be a little out of sync with your TV speakers and picture ... so it would not be ideal to use with the tv audio.

However, you have said you plan to mute the TV speakers and listen to the audio privately at night, through the headphones only and the setup of a Sonos product with a Bluetooth transmitter will work in that situation. The audio delay is quite minimal and the sync with your tv picture will hardly be noticeable, so it should not spoil your viewing/listening experience.

My reply here, relates specifically to Sonos products, but I'm sure you will also find several other ways to achieve the same, or similar, outcome, using other types of hardware with and without Bluetooth built-in.
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your detailed response, much appreciated!
That sounds like a plan, get a Bluetooth transmitter for the Tv!
Thanks again
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi, same issue with an LG that only has optical out. We want to be able to listed through Sonos (and not the TVs speakers) or bluetooth headphones (note that many TVs now come with bluetooth, would have simplified the heck out of things). I'm thinking that the following would work:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01H6I3YGK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2YL8CPYSW42I7&psc=1

There is a physical switch from transmitter (bluetooth headphone) function to wired (3mm to RCA to my Sonos--I assume there's a D to A converter on board). The physical switch seems a nuisance (have to get off of couch . . . a good thing, really, to move) but really these are the two modalities I'm after, speaker or headphone, but not both simultaneously.

Does this seem a reasonable solution?

Thanks!

Andrew