Airplay 2: Existing Sonos One speakers not showing up

I have upgraded my Sonos to the latest version which includes Airplay 2. In the settings page of the Sonos app it tells me I do not have any compatible Airplay speakers. I have 3 Sonos One speakers, 2 grouped together. Why are these not showing up?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

That's odd. Perhaps you may want to submit a system diagnostic , and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

But assuming that they are Sonos Ones, and not PLAY:1s, they certainly should be showing up, assuming that you have AIrPlay turned on on your iOS or Mac devices.
Same issue
Same response.
Nice circular reference...I submitted the diagnostics and opened a case. They just sent me an email directing me to look at your response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
But assuming that they are Sonos Ones, and not PLAY:1s, they certainly should be showing up, assuming that you have AIrPlay turned on on your iOS or Mac devices.
Bruce makes a great point here.

The Play:1 is not AirPlay 2 compatible. The Sonos One is AirPlay 2 compatible.

Which do you have?
I have a Sonos One, which is working fine otherwise with the Sonos apps and Alexa. It's obviously available/visible on the network.
Screenshot
Might be helpful to Kieth if you were to share the diagnostic number with him, so he can see the specifics of your system, and perhaps point out why it's not showing up.

I, of course, don't have access to that data, but I'd certainly start off testing by power cycling the speaker. Since each speaker is essentially a computer, it doesn't hurt to reset the OS, so to speak, and force it to reboot.

My apologies for you getting sent back to my post, although I'm just a customer, not a Sonos employee, so I don't have much control over Sonos' emails to you.

I'd certainly be interested in the resolution to the problem though. I can't think of a particular reason why you're not able to see your Sonos Ones, so whatever solution you get from Sonos, I'd ask you to post back here, so that others can learn from your experience.
I'm having the same problem. I've 3 Ones. 1 is a standalone and works fine with AirPlay 2. The 2 others are grouped as "sorrounds" with a PlayBar and Sub, they do NOT show up in AirPlay 2. What gives? Seems like a code defect. Anyone at Sonos tracking and resolving it?
Thanks for the response, Bruce. Diagnostic confirmation #1316626023. I've rebooted/powercycled everything in my network, including IOS devices and router....multiple times for my Sonos One. I will definitely post the resolution if/when one is provided. For Chris, I could be wrong, but in my search for a solution I think I remember seeing something that said that surrounds would not work with AirPlay...but forgive me if I'm providing bogus info.
Goodness I hope that's the not case, Ones used as surrounds don't work with Airplay 2. I use that surround system the most when not enjoying a movie. Would have saved myself the $ and bought Play:1's instead. Do you remember where you saw that at? If not, would be great if you could share it if you happen upon it again.
No, that's correct, a Sonos One bonded to the controller of a PLAYBAR does take away the ability to have it act as an AirPlay target. It's the controller of the room (the PLAYBAR) that is the significant device in that equation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the response, Bruce. Diagnostic confirmation #1316626023. I've rebooted/powercycled everything in my network, including IOS devices and router....multiple times for my Sonos One. I will definitely post the resolution if/when one is provided. For Chris, I could be wrong, but in my search for a solution I think I remember seeing something that said that surrounds would not work with AirPlay...but forgive me if I'm providing bogus info.

Hi BMcF,

The only speaker I see in your report is a PLAY:1, which does not support Airplay 2. The Sonos One, however does. It's a tad confusing as the names are similar, but you can tell because the Sonos One has a microphone button on the top while the PLAY:1 does not.
Yep, I'm an idiot. Turns out that I have a PLAY:1. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. All along I thought the Christmas gift I got was a Sonos One, and couldn't wait for AirPlay2. Fail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Goodness I hope that's the not case, Ones used as surrounds don't work with Airplay 2. I use that surround system the most when not enjoying a movie. Would have saved myself the $ and bought Play:1's instead. Do you remember where you saw that at? If not, would be great if you could share it if you happen upon it again.

Hi ChrisWalsh,

In a Sonos 5.1 setup, the device connected to your TV determines its Airplay 2 compatibility. Due to the way the 5.1 speakers communicate, it wouldn't work well for the rear speakers to handle Airplay streaming for the front channel. If your 5.1 setup has a PLAYBASE or a BEAM for its front channel, you can use the speakers as a target for Airplay 2. If you are using a PLAYBAR, you can't target the speakers for Airplay 2 even if you have Sonos Ones for your rear speakers.

As with all Sonos speakers, you can group the 5.1 speakers with a Sonos One, PLAY:5 gen. 2, PLAYBASE or Beam, and target the group for Airplay 2 streaming.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi
I have a Playbar , 2 x Sonos One (working as 5.1 in lounge with playbar) and a 2nd gen play 5. I have updated the sonos app on my iPad but can only see the play 5 for use with Airplay 2. Am I missing something please?
Hi
I have a Playbar , 2 x Sonos One (working as 5.1 in lounge with playbar) and a 2nd gen play 5. I have updated the sonos app on my iPad but can only see the play 5 for use with Airplay 2. Am I missing something please?

When bonded with the Playbar as surrounds, the Playbar is the master unit and thus Airplay 2 is not supported on the surrounds.

Hi ChrisWalsh,

In a Sonos 5.1 setup, the device connected to your TV determines its Airplay 2 compatibility. Due to the way the 5.1 speakers communicate, it wouldn't work well for the rear speakers to handle Airplay streaming for the front channel. If your 5.1 setup has a PLAYBASE or a BEAM for its front channel, you can use the speakers as a target for Airplay 2. If you are using a PLAYBAR, you can't target the speakers for Airplay 2 even if you have Sonos Ones for your rear speakers.

As with all Sonos speakers, you can group the 5.1 speakers with a Sonos One, PLAY:5 gen. 2, PLAYBASE or Beam, and target the group for Airplay 2 streaming.

Jeff S - While disappointed with the answer, it saved me time tinkering and researching. Thank you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for the quick response. Just like to know everything's working as it is intended - cheers.
I’ve recently updated my existing system (playbar, sub, 2x play:1s in surround) with 2 play ones. The idea was to swap out one of the play:1s for a one, then taking the other play one and pairing it with the removed play:1 in another room, thereby getting 2 rooms, both with AirPlay 2.

First disappointment was that I couldn’t mix a play:1 with a one as surrounds. Second disappointment was as above, using the ones as surrounds didn’t add AirPlay 2. That is rubbish!

I think these new speakers will be going back unless a Sonos person can give some insight into the software roadmap? Will either of these things be possible in the future?
James D,

Sonos never answer the sort of questions you're asking. They do not usually disclose future development changes until they are released or ready for release. I doubt therefore you will get the answers you are perhaps hoping for.

I personally do not think the Sonos Ones will work as AirPlay (Master) Controllers when they are 'bonded' as surround (slaves) to a PlayBar because it’s the Playbar 'Room' that is seen in the iOS AirPlay list and Sonos have stated the PlayBar hardware is not upto the task, but that’s just my opinion. The speakers would maybe need to unbond/re-bond perhaps for that to happen. I just see it as problematic. Imagine watching a film in Surround sound in the Lounge and another person in the house then trying to take one of the surround speakers for AirPlaying audio in another room... I wouldn’t want that feature to be available in my household.

I don’t think the older Play:1 will be 'paired' either with the much newer Sonos One hardware, they may have a slightly similar appearance but their architecture and hardware are entirely different inside and I suspect that pairing the devices might even lead to one, or the other, suffering some damage. I have seen users using third-party software to pair mis-matched sonos speakers and personally speaking, I think it probably not only would void any warranty but it may shorten the life of their devices.

So my view would be to maybe use the Sonos Ones (stereo paired or standalone) as an AirPlay (Master) controller(s) for your household, located perhaps in a Dining Room, or bedroom etc. Or if not, then return one or both under any purchase agreement you have.

I really don’t see the point in returning both Sonos Ones, as you will then lose the option to 'group' with your PlayBar room to play the vast amount of iOS Apps that have the AirPlay feature, like Netflix, YouTube, Podcasts etc. You would just be 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' in that situation.
Hi ken

Thanks for taking the time to respond. What you’re saying makes sense, but it’s surprising and disappointing, as usually Sonos stuff “just works”, which is part of the appeal.

I’ll most likely stick these in another room and reassess before the 100 day return policy us up.

Thanks

James
Same problem here. It's extremely misleading. I went out bought 2 Sonos Ones and linked them to my Playbar as a surround setup expecting this to enable Airplay on the Playbar. Major frustration when no Airplay speakers appeared. Sonos need to make this crystal clear. Most people adding a Sonos One to a Playbar will be doing it as a surround set-up.

These two speakers are going back to the store.
Sonos need to make this crystal clear.

You mean like here, in the main support page for Airplay 2:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

The following Sonos speakers are compatible with AirPlay 2:

Beam
Sonos One
Playbase
Play:5 (second generation)
If one or more of the above speakers are not listed, make sure they are powered on and connected to your Sonos system. Sonos One and Play:5 speakers that are setup as surrounds will not be available for use with Airplay.
Same problem here. It's extremely misleading. I went out bought 2 Sonos Ones and linked them to my Playbar as a surround setup expecting this to enable Airplay on the Playbar. Major frustration when no Airplay speakers appeared. Sonos need to make this crystal clear. Most people adding a Sonos One to a Playbar will be doing it as a surround set-up.

These two speakers are going back to the store.

If it was me, I would return just return the one Sonos One and buy two Play:1’s instead and use those for surrounds, but keep the Sonos One elsewhere, so that I could Airplay to that speaker and group it with the PlayBar Room ... it just gives that extra option, whilst keeping a 5.0/5.1 HT setup for the TV.