Answered

ZP90 worth buying?

• 24 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I have a pair of Play 1's, Sonos 3 and I've just bought a Sonos Beam to create a surround system with the two Play 1's.

I want to add two outdoor speakers (not purchased yet) for two different patios. These speakers I want to use for ambience so I won't need anything high powered.

I've seen a ZP90 second hand and wondered if it is worth buying. I don't currently have any other sound system apart from the Sonos I've listed. I thought to buy a mini amplifier from Aliexpress for the two outdoor speakers. 

My question; is the ZP90 worth buying? Should I instead look at a newer Connect? I see both the ZP90 and Connect aren't supported with the S2 app. Would this mean I would need to use S1 app for the outdoor speakers and S2 for the rest of my system?

I don't really want to splash out for the newest Sonos Amp as I don't have a current system and only want it for the outdoor speakers.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance 👍🔊

icon

Best answer by John B 24 December 2020, 11:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The ZP90 would anchor you in S1.  Given that all your existing gear is S2 compatible that would seem an odd move. (You might not be able to take the current speakers back to S1 and that might indeed leave you with a split system.)

Post-2015 (gen 2) Connects are in fact compatible with S2.  As are post-2015 Connect:Amps, so one of those would be an alternative to a Connect + amplifier.

Badge +2

Great. Thank you for this!

How can I verify a Gen 2 Sonos Connect? I would be purchasing a second hand Connect. Is there a way to know the gen from the serial number?

Thanks 

There is a four digit code before the serial number in format YYMM. We THINK that 1502 (that is, Feb 2015) and later are gen 2. Another clue is mute button indicates gen 1, play/pause gen 2. Almost certainly!

Only gen 1 Connects and Connect:Amps are eligible for the upgrade discount, and so you can ask the seller about this.  If it is eligible for the discount, or has already been used for one, it is gen 1 and you don’t want it.

Badge +2

Ok so I've found and bought a Sonos Connect that's compatible with S2 (serial begins with 1607).

Now to get some outdoor speakers. I don't have an existing system, so no amplifier to connect to. I want to do this on a budget at the moment so what's the best option? 

I thought I could get a pair of 'active' outdoor speakers as these have built in amplifier so in theory can be connected directly to the Connect right?