Answered

Youtube videos through Sonos

• 17 September 2018
  • 8 replies

I have a bunch of sonos one's and a connect (to far from computer to use earphone adaptor). I was wondering if I buy a sonos 1 will i be able to stream audio from youtube from my computer to my sonos system? If yes, Will I be able to select which rooms to play in?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 September 2018, 22:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No, Sonos Ones do not have an aux input. You would need either a Connect, Connect:amp, or Play:5 for that. But yes, you then would be able to share the audio with the rest of your Sonos system.
what about airplay via a Sonos 1, would that do it? I have a mac computer
I don't know if airplay allows casting of youtube. Since you already have a Sonos One you shouldn't need to buy another one to test this. If you meant to say that you have a bunch of Play:1s then you can't use airplay yet. M

Maybe someone who has airplay and a mac can confirm whether youtube is airplay compatible?
sorry must have gotten one and 1 mixed up, I have the bunch of 1's (no airplay). You end your answer with a "yet" for the 1's do you think airplay will be coming to them without a current airplay speaker? Am I reading to much in to it, I usually do? Thanks for the help.
sorry must have gotten one and 1 mixed up, I have the bunch of 1's (no airplay). You end your answer with a "yet" for the 1's do you think airplay will be coming to them without a current airplay speaker? Am I reading to much in to it, I usually do? Thanks for the help.

I meant 'yet' meaning in terms that you'll have airplay after you get a Sonos One. The Play:1 doesn't have the tech specs to support airplay, so there's not going to be any change in functionality for them when it comes to airplay.

Regarding the specific youtube question, I've asked some other posters who know about airplay more than me.
holderg,

You can definitely Airplay from YouTube to the newer Sonos One Speaker (not to be confused with Play:1) from the YouTube iOS App... so if you can Airplay YouTube from your Mac PC, then the answer is 'Yes'... what you would do, is send the YouTube audio out over Airplay to a Sonos One and simply group that speaker with either your Sonos Connect and/or your older Play:1’s ... the audio from all grouped speakers should also sync perfectly with the video that you you see on your computer screen.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Ken.
No problem Danny, glad to help out here and repay back a little for all the help you have given to me in the past.. thanks ! ?