Answered

Would a playbase work for me?

• 3 October 2017
  • 3 replies

I am planning on using a Sonos System in our new house and had been planning on using a playbar sitting on our mantle with a TV above.

I am now wondering if I could use a playbase off to the sides in the bottom bookshelf, perhaps the white one and it could kind of blend in.

Thoughts, could this work or would it not sound right not being directly in front of the tv

https://i.imgur.com/qM9jxqL.png
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 October 2017, 21:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It's not something I'd want to encourage. Your brain (well, mine, at least) expects to get the sound from the fairly specific location of the screen, so having it off to the side would be odd, at the least, and certainly probably mess with the ability for surround effects from the front 3 speakers in the PLAYBASE, although it might be mitigated (but how much?) by a TruePlay tuning.
It's not something I'd want to encourage. Your brain (well, mine, at least) expects to get the sound from the fairly specific location of the screen, so having it off to the side would be odd, at the least, and certainly probably mess with the ability for surround effects from the front 3 speakers in the PLAYBASE, although it might be mitigated (but how much?) by a TruePlay tuning.

That's what I figured. Pretty sure I'm going to do a Playbar on the mantle
It would be my recommendation. While it is indeed black, and won't blend in as much as a white PLAYBASE would, I think you'll find that within a week, you won't see it as much, assuming it's mounted fairly close to the bottom of the TV.

Mine happens to be sitting on a white cabinet, with the TV sitting above it, and it really doesn't impinge on my thoughts, unless there's something specific that I'm looking for.