Question

Wirelessly connect existing receiver to sonos amp

• 26 July 2019
  • 5 replies

I have an existing receiver powering in wall and in ceiling speakers. I am building an out door kitchen and so want to hook up some speakers outside and have them wirelessly connect to the my Denon receiver. Denon does have a solution for this but want to use Sonos. The goal being to play something through the receiver and have it output to all speakers at once. How would I go about doing this? Sonos connect to the receiver and sonos amp to wired speakers outside?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yep, that's the way I'd do it.
I guess I'm confused on how the Sonos connect and amp work. Do they act as both receivers and transmitters? Or does the sonos amp only work as a receiver and the sonos connect works as a transmitter?
All Sonos devices are both transmitters and receivers, like any internet device.
I guess I'm confused on how the Sonos connect and amp work. Do they act as both receivers and transmitters? Or does the sonos amp only work as a receiver and the sonos connect works as a transmitter?

The Sonos Amp has an amplifier to power passive speakers. The Connect has digital and analog outputs that can output to 3rd party amplifiers, receivers, and/or powered speakers. Both have an analog line-in so that outside analog sources can be played on Sonos devices.

The Sonos Amp has an amplifier to power passive speakers. The Connect has digital and analog outputs that can output to 3rd party amplifiers, receivers, and/or powered speakers. Both have an analog line-in so that outside analog sources can be played on Sonos devices.

So if I wanted to play things through the sonos app or something connected to another sonos through my receiver, I would connect the receiver through the sonos connect outputs, digital or analog. However, if I wanted whatever was playing through my receiver (movie, built in app, through apple tv etc) to transmit out to other sonos devices, I only have the two analog input option on the connect?