Question

Wired Ceiling Speakers using multi AMPs

• 1 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi Team

My home has wired ceiling speakers which are independent over two floors. If I run two AMPs for each floor can I

• Play the same audio across both AMPs
  • Create up to 4 zones (2 on each AMP) and play different audio in each zone or mute say 1 or two zones across the AMPs whilst playing through the other zones (each speaker on each floor has independent connection)
  • Sync ARC sound bar to zone in same room but with ability to choose to only play through ARC or through ceiling speakers and ARC as I choose
  • Have different volumes per Zone

Quite a few q’s I know but keen to make the right decision here and at least understand how it works. Pretty new to Sonos so all help really appreciated.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

1. Yes.
  2. No. An Amp is one ‘zone’, and has a single output. You can not create two independent ‘zones’ with a single Amp.
  3. Yes, kind of. One of the features of Sonos is the ability to group ‘zones’, or ‘rooms’ as Sonos calls them. Due to the nature of the underlying software process, there will always be a slight (75ms minimum) delay between a Home Theater input (your Arc) and any grouped rooms. As long as they’re physically different rooms, this would not be an issue. If the Arc is in the same room as the grouped specs, it could be an audible issue.
  4. Yes, each ‘room ‘ in Sonos has its own volume that can be set. 

Thanks Bruce - Amazingly quick response and on the money what I was looking for.

With regards to the zones is there a better Sonos/Sonos compatible way to be able to create them rather than spend A$999 on a AMP for each zone?

Not within the Sonos ecosystem, no. Each Sonos device is a single ‘zone’, Sonos does not make a device that creates more than one source at a time. 

That being said, a pair of Sonos Ones would be less expensive than a single Sonos Amp, if you were willing to not use the ceiling speakers, and sound incredibly good.

While not “independent” in the sense of being able to play different music in each room, you could insert a Volume control in each speaker feed that would allow you to adjust the relative Volume in each area.