Where do I begin? Looking to buy my first Sonos.

• 8 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi all!

I have researched, and researched without finding any true direction over the past few months. I have a 65 inch TV, and I am looking to get a sound bar, but not sure if the Arc is better than the Beam. I am also looking to set up surround sound, and a subwoofer would be great too. It’s obvious to me the Beam is going to be less pricey, so wondering if I should go that direction despite the size of my TV.

I’m new to Sonos, so curious about a couple of things, like how many speakers could I pair with my sound bar? For example, would I be able to pear speakers throughout my apartment to it?

Also, what does it look like when changing the volume on a Sonos sound bar? I haven’t had much luck seeing it in use on YouTube, just setup videos.

Any help is appreciated here, I’m fairly new to this, but excited to (hopefully) one day watch my TV and listen to music in style. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Describe your setup. What model TV do you have? How large is your living room? How high are your ceilings? Are they flat? How far are you sitting from the TV? Do you use any external media devices? What do you normally watch? From what apps? Are you interested in Dolby Atmos audio?

With an Arc or Beam, you can add up to two Sonos Subs (one must be a Gen 3) and two rear surround speakers for a maximum 5.2.2 (Arc) and 5.2 (Beam) setup.

You can set up other Sonos speakers throughout the apartment for a multi-room setup. This will allow you to play the same music at the same time throughout your entire apartment. You can play TV audio to the other speakers not part of the home theater setup by grouping them together in the Sonos app, but you may experience a slight audio delay from the grouped speakers.

The Arc or Beam will connect to your TV’s HDMI ARC port and the CEC functionality on your TV will allow you to adjust the volume of the sound bar using the TV remote. You can also control the volume using the Sonos app or a voice assistant.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I think you can take advantage of Sonos’ home trial offer: if you don’t like it, return it. So buy, say, the Arc and Sub and give them a listen in your own home. 

Thanks all for these replies! As far as my setup, I have a Sony BRAVIA 2020 model. It’s fairly new. My living room isn’t “huge” as I’m in an apartment, but my ceilings are fairly high 10ft or so just guessing at it. I typically also sit 15-20ish feet away from the TV, so not right on top of it! I typically use streaming services and my Roku to watch TV, and I do play video games regularly. I’m not particularly interested in Dolby Atmos audio but may look more into that as well.

Thank you for answering each of these, incredibly helpful to hear about he pairing, and the setting up of rooms throughout the apartment.

I will also look into the home trial offer, how difficult would it be to return it if it does not work out?

All in all, it wounds like this may be worth the investment.

Userlevel 7

Thanks all for these replies! As far as my setup, I have a Sony BRAVIA 2020 model. It’s fairly new. My living room isn’t “huge” as I’m in an apartment, but my ceilings are fairly high 10ft or so just guessing at it. I typically also sit 15-20ish feet away from the TV, so not right on top of it! I typically use streaming services and my Roku to watch TV, and I do play video games regularly. I’m not particularly interested in Dolby Atmos audio but may look more into that as well.

Thank you for answering each of these, incredibly helpful to hear about he pairing, and the setting up of rooms throughout the apartment.

I will also look into the home trial offer, how difficult would it be to return it if it does not work out?

All in all, it wounds like this may be worth the investment.

With your setup, the Beam (Gen 2) would probably be the best option for you. I would usually recommend adding the Sub, but your neighbors in your apartment building might hate you for it. If you have the budget, add a pair of One SLs as surround speakers.