Question

What to get - Beam with Sub or 2.1 system with Amp?

• 9 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I am a relatively new Sonos owner (currently have two One SL’s in my office that are wonderful) and I am looking to add some Sonos to my living room. I live in a two bedroom apartment, so the living room is approximately 13 feet by 11 feet (~200 square feet). I am considering either a Beam with a Sub or a 2.1 system driven by a Sonos Amp. I am looking to spend around $1K on this, so I could either get the Beam and Sub or an Amp with approx. $350 to spend between a small powered sub and bookshelf speakers. In either case, I will probably add two One’s as surrounds, but I am excluding that from my consideration for the time being. 

What do you all recommend for a space such as this? I am leaning toward the Amp since I can always add some better speakers when we buy a house and I have a more permanent system, but I could also re-purpose the Beam for a smaller room and buy an Amp down the line. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @sfcpa, welcome to the Sonos Community! I appreciate your interest in the Sonos products and just to let you know you can have either setups based on your preference. In my opinion, Sonos Beam would be perfect. Let me share these threads about Sonos Amp and Sonos Beam for more information. We can also wait for other user’s experience here or reach out to our Sales team. Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

It depends on whether you listen mostly to music or to TV sound.

If it’s mainly for movies, i’d definitely suggest the Beam because you need a dedicated centre channel. No doubt the amp and speakers will sound better for music, though!