Question

What to buy?

• 22 September 2016
  • 5 replies

Tired of wires. I currently own a Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver. Running DVR, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV through it. Moved to a much smaller condo. Need sound! What would you recommend and how does it connect to my Pioneer receiver?
Thanks,
59svj

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Sonos is a brand of wireless speaker used to Stream music (via the Sonos App Controller) stored on an iOS device or Android tablet to speakers throughout your home. Speakers in different rooms are called Zones which allow you to play synchronized audio in each Zone (room) or different music in each simultaneously.

Sonos will stream music using:
1. Your home WiFi or
2. Sonos dedicated wireless network created by a Sonos Speaker or Boost. (Recommended).

Sonos makes several great speakers. I'll list them here (top to bottom) with their primary/secondary use where applicable:

I. Play 5 (Gen 2) - Full robust room filling sound for Music - Stereo from a Single speaker / Two can be configured as a Stereo Pair for an expansive sound stage
II. Play 3 - Step down from Play 5 -Designed as a source speaker for Music - Stereo from a Single speaker / Two can be configured as a Stereo Pair
III. Play 1 - Step down from Play 3 - Designed as a source speaker for Music / Two can be configured as a Stereo Pair / Humidity resistant for use in a shower room / Some may disagree that the Play 1 is a step down from Play 3...IMO it's subjective listening.
IV. PlayBar - Designed to deliver enhanced audio from a TV - Simulates surround / Can be used to play Music - Stereo / Requires Optical Out from TV / will learn Volume +/- commands from TV or Cable remote that is IR transmit
V. Sub - Designed to increase Bass (low -end) response - requires a PlayBar for TV Audio / Can be used with Play 3 or Play 1 in Stereo pair for improved low-end music response.
VI. Play 3 and Play 1- Can be used as surround speakers in conjunction with a Playbar with or without a sub
VII. Sonos Connect - can be used to integrate your Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver for streaming music
VIII. Sonos Connect AMP - Can be used to connect wired speakers and make them part of a Sonos system

Recommendations:
You'll definitely require a Sonos Connect to integrate your Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver for streaming music.

Since you are using the Pioneer Elite 7.1 unless you are retiring your surround setup there is no need to invest in a Playbar/Sub/Play 3 x 2 or Play 1 x 2 Surround speaker setup. Also Sonos Surround will only deliver DD 5.1.

If you do retire your current surround system in favor of a Sonos setup know that your Pioneer Elite 7.1 will be relegated to music streaming only via the Sonos Connect.

You could potentially keep both setups for surround (as the Pioneer outputs are selectable) but you would have to either turn the volume down on the Sonos Playbar or temporarily pull the optical. But what would be the point to have two surround setups in play???

Depending upon the size of the room for music…either a Play 3 or Play 1 as a single speaker may do or Play 3 x 2 or Play 1 x 2 as stereo pair with or without a Sonos Sub. You cannot combine a Play 3 and Play 1 to make a stereo pair.

A Play 5 can be used for music in a large room but I would assume your Pioneer Elite 7.1 is currently handling that task in the main listening area.

Make sure your retailer has a liberal return policy. Sonos offers 45 day trial in USA.

Click the link for more setup information you WILL find useful:
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/support

This should get you started. Good Luck to create your Sonos listening nirvana.
Userlevel 7
If you do retire your current surround system in favor of a Sonos setup know that your Pioneer Elite 7.1 will be relegated to music streaming only via the Sonos Connect.

Clarification:
What is meant is that your Pioneer will not broadcast TV audio natively. It can only be done by grouping it to the Zone setup with the Sonos PlayBar system. However, the audio from the Pioneer may be slightly delayed as it not a native part of the Playbar's zone. To be clear the delay mentioned does not occur when grouping zones that are setup for music in the first instance (i.e. Grouping Zones setup with Play 1's, 3's and 5's with or without a sub).
Sonos is a brand of wireless speaker used to Stream music (via the Sonos App Controller) stored on an iOS device or Android tablet to speakers throughout your home. Speakers in different rooms are called Zones which allow you to play synchronized audio in each Zone (room) or different music in each simultaneously.

Sonos will stream music using:
1. Your home WiFi or
2. Sonos dedicated wireless network created by a Sonos Speaker or Boost. (Recommended).

Sonos makes several great speakers. I'll list them here (top to bottom) with their primary/secondary use where applicable:

I. Play 5 (Gen 2) - Full robust room filling sound for Music - Stereo from a Single speaker / Two can be configured as a Stereo Pair for an expansive sound stage
II. Play 3 - Step down from Play 5 -Designed as a source speaker for Music - Stereo from a Single speaker / Two can be configured as a Stereo Pair
III. Play 1 - Step down from Play 3 - Designed as a source speaker for Music / Two can be configured as a Stereo Pair / Humidity resistant for use in a shower room / Some may disagree that the Play 1 is a step down from Play 3...IMO it's subjective listening.
IV. PlayBar - Designed to deliver enhanced audio from a TV - Simulates surround / Can be used to play Music - Stereo / Requires Optical Out from TV / will learn Volume +/- commands from TV or Cable remote that is IR transmit
V. Sub - Designed to increase Bass (low -end) response - requires a PlayBar for TV Audio / Can be used with Play 3 or Play 1 in Stereo pair for improved low-end music response.
VI. Play 3 and Play 1- Can be used as surround speakers in conjunction with a Playbar with or without a sub
VII. Sonos Connect - can be used to integrate your Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver for streaming music
VIII. Sonos Connect AMP - Can be used to connect wired speakers and make them part of a Sonos system

Recommendations:
You'll definitely require a Sonos Connect to integrate your Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver for streaming music.

Since you are using the Pioneer Elite 7.1 unless you are retiring your surround setup there is no need to invest in a Playbar/Sub/Play 3 x 2 or Play 1 x 2 Surround speaker setup. Also Sonos Surround will only deliver DD 5.1.

You could potentially keep both setups for surround (as the Pioneer outputs are selectable) but you would have to either turn the volume down on the Sonos Playbar or temporarily pull the optical. But what would be the point to have two surround setups in play???

Depending upon the size of the room for music…either a Play 3 or Play 1 as a single speaker may do or Play 3 x 2 or Play 1 x 2 as stereo pair with or without a Sonos Sub. You cannot combine a Play 3 and Play 1 to make a stereo pair.

A Play 5 can be used for music in a large room but I would assume your Pioneer Elite 7.1 is currently handling that task in the main listening area.

Make sure your retailer has a liberal return policy. Sonos offers 45 day trial in USA.

Click the link for more setup information you WILL find useful:
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/support

This should get you started. Good Luck to create your Sonos listening nirvana.
Hi, AjTreck1,
I also need advice. I have just returned my Bose SoundTouch to the dealer as the 'new' software for the series iii is rubbish. Looking to buy the Play 3, but I need some advise.

I want to play world-wide internet radio and, if possible set up some presets.
I want to stream music held (upstairs) on my Windows 10 PC to the lounge where the Play 3 would be located. The main PC is linked to the lounge by a TP Link Powerline mains connector with a wifi/Ethernet 'outlet' right next to where the Play 3 would be located. The music on my PC is held in an iTunes library which I have created from years of CDs.
I would also like to play my downloaded radio podcasts.
I would like to set up my playlists (which Bose software wouldn't allow).
I tried to download the Sonos iPhone app, to try it out, but it needs a Sonos system to allow it to work. Can you advise me whether the Play 3 will meet these reqirements? Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Hi RJT1

Thanks for considering Sonos. Don't mean to come off as if I work for Sonos which I don't, I'm just glad to know that people are considering a great audio system.

Unfortunately, Sonos does not support EOP systems such as the TP Link Powerline. Click the link for more information:

EOP – Ethernet Over Power
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/kw/wifi%20support

All is not loss....you can purchase a Sonos Boost and connect it via Cat5e Ethernet cable to an available ethernet port on your router. The Sonos Boost will create its own wireless network to join any Sonos speaker that does not have a direct ethernet connection. This is the set up I use as it allows for more flexibility in speaker placement. You can also use additional Sonos Boosts to extend the Sonos wireless network.

You'll have to download a Sonos Controller to each device where you have music stored. However, since you are using iTunes...as long as you have iCloud backups you can sync your music across multiple devices that have iTunes loaded. In that manner your entire music library is available regardless of what device you are using that has a Sonos Controller. I have iTunes and a Sonos controller on five (5) Pc's (Windows & Mac) as well as iOS devices. The only way to use a single Sonos Controller to play all of your music stored on different devices you'd have to have all devices sync to a Music Folder on a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

If you decide to move forward here are some helpful links on the Sonos website:

How to Setup Sonos: Boost Setup
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3463?_ga=1.120713480.1617335766.1473897203

Add a Sonos Product to an Existing System
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1017?_ga=1.7994546.1617335766.1473897203

What services are available in my country?
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music?_ga=1.116110214.1617335766.1473897203

How to Add Internet Radio Sources
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/264?_ga=1.117674249.1617335766.1473897203

How to Add Music Services to Sonos
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2768?r=2638

If you were asking about the Play 3 as to whether or not it is a good choice versus a Play 5 or Play 1 to accept music streaming services....it doesn't matter. If Sonos supports the service any speaker will work. Your only concern will be what type of listening experience you want to achieve regarding "tonality". That my friend is very "subjective" when considering a Play 3 versus a Play 1. The Play 5 will dominate both.

The only "objective" consideration is room size (i.e. will the Play 3 or Play 1 as a single speaker cover the entire listening area). IMO (room size a non-factor) the only advantage of a single Play 3 over a single Play 1 is that the Play 3 offers stereo to about 2 - 3 meters. Beyond that distance the listening experience from a Play 3 is similar to Play 1.

I hope this helps you to make an informed decision. Please post back to let us know what you decided.

Cheers!