Answered

What kind of output does cd player need to Port?

• 10 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Sonos and audio noob here. Just starting out with a Beam in the living (tv + music) and a One in the bedroom. My wife wants to keep the cd collection + a player, so I'm looking at Connect-ing the player.

However, our current mini audioset has only headphone output, so now I'm wondering whether that's enough as input for the Connect (with an adapter cable), or whether I should look into getting a new cd player. And if so, what specs for the output connection? Dual tulip connectors?

(Yes, I expect the cd player to have a limited lifespan after I introduce her to the joys of the Sonos controller--I've already ripped the entire cd collection to our music library. But for now, this is the path I'm on.)

PS: Checking the Sonos site, they don't seem to advertise the Connect any longer. It's still for sale elsewhere though. Would that even be compatible with the new Beam/One I have?

icon

Best answer by ratty 10 January 2022, 12:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

A Port or Connect requires a line-level input, via twin RCA/phono jacks. The sensitivity is configurable through the app, but typically a CD player would put out 2V RMS nominal which corresponds to Sonos’ source level setting 2. If you’re looking for a pre-owned Connect it ought to be a generation 2, to be compatible with S2. These were shipped from late 2015.

As an alternative you could of course consider a Five (or Play:5/gen2) which, as well as offering a Line-In (3.5mm jack), would also be a speaker in its own right. That way, once you’ve convinced SWMBO of the benefits of playing your ripped files, you wouldn’t end up with a possibly surplus Port/Connect.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks @ratty! The Connect won't become redundant, as I still have a record player that I'd like to connect to it. And the Connect has a much friendlier price point :-) Time to go look for a preamped cd player, I guess.

A CD player doesn’t require a preamp, but a turntable does (either internal or separate).

As for the Connect you must, as I say, ensure it’s a Gen 2 to avoid getting locked into S1. The YYMM of manufacture is on the label on the underside, before the serial number. I don’t recall offhand which month of 2015 the transition to Gen 2 occurred. Search this board, or wait for a helpful individual to spot this thread and comment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Here’s a good thread which explains Gen 1 and gen 2.  The key seems to be to check the serial number.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

FYI it’s not ideal, but your headphone output will work until you find a standalone CD player. You’ll just need a stereo 3.5mm (assuming mini jack on your mini system) to RCA adapter cable. Once connected adjust the volume level of the mini system for clear sound through the Connect, and from that point leave it set there and adjust listening volume with the Sonos app.