Answered

want to play turntable through existing sonos speakers - confused over what would be best

• 16 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi All

I have a Sony PS-HX500 turntable with built in pre amp. I currently have it running through an old amp and speakers which works well but I would  prefer to be able to stream to the Sonos speakers I have in rooms around the house (a mixture of Beam, One, One SL, and Move) so I could listen to it anywhere. I’ve read so many articles but am still confused as to what would work and what would be best. The Port looks to fit the bill, but some reviews don’t seem great as regards sound quality. The Amp looks to fit the bill, and looks to have better reviews, but is obviously quite a bit more expensive. Both seem to offer functionality I don’t think I need.  For what I want would either of these be better than the other, or is there a different solution in the Sonos range? I’d be interested to hear views from people who have either, or have found a different solution. TIA

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 January 2023, 17:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

All Sonos line ins have exactly the same audio quality. 

Your best bet for a turntable connection is indeed a Sonos Port, or a Sonos Five. While the line in on each has different form factors (RCA vs 3.5mm jacks), they function the same, entering the Sonos software sytem for distribution on any connected Sonos device. 

You will need to use a Sonos product that has a line-in port, such as:

• Port/Connect
  • Amp/Connect:Amp
  • Five/Play:5

A turntable with built-in/external pre-amp can connect to the Line-In which becomes an audio source you can play to the Sonos device or other Sonos devices, which can also be grouped together for playing the audio throughout the Home. 

The line-in quality is the same, whichever product you choose. I personally use a ‘Port’ as I also use it’s line-out to a BT transmitter for headphone use, but some prefer using a ‘Five’ as that also provides an extra Sonos speaker - it’s really up-to you. If you can use the ‘Amp’ for other purposes, then go with that, but I would not get that just for TT use, as you mentioned, it would be an expensive path just to have a line-in to your other Sonos speakers.

HTH. 

All Sonos line ins have exactly the same audio quality. 

Your best bet for a turntable connection is indeed a Sonos Port, or a Sonos Five. While the line in on each has different form factors (RCA vs 3.5mm jacks), they function the same, entering the Sonos software sytem for distribution on any connected Sonos device. 

Ah great. Did look at the five but didn’t see that could distribute to other Sonos speakers as well. Good info - thanks!

You will need to use a Sonos product that has a line-in port, such as:

• Port/Connect
  • Amp/Connect:Amp
  • Five/Play:5

A turntable with built-in/external pre-amp can connect to the Line-In which becomes an audio source you can play to the Sonos device or other Sonos devices, which can also be grouped together for playing the audio throughout the Home. 

The line-in quality is the same whichever product you choose. I personally use a Port as I also use it’s line-out to a BT transmitter for headphone use, but some prefer using a ‘Five’ as that also provides an extra Sonos speaker - it’s really up-to you. If you can use the Amp for other purposes then go with that but I would not get that just for TT use, as you mentioned, it would be an expensive path just to have a line-in to your other Sonos speakers.

HTH. 

Great - thanks. Yes, this would just be for TT use so it seems as I suspected that the Amp would be overkill. Looking like a decision between a Port or Five then.