Question

Using Sonos to play turntable in other rooms

• 7 January 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a record player that has a pre amp connected to it, and it is currently plugged into my home theater system. I would like to keep this setup, since the sound quality is really good, but I would like to have the ability to play my records on other rooms on the house, or Spotify (or a combination). Is it possible and what is the right setup for it? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

A Connect needs to be wired to the analog audio outputs of the receiver and music from the TT can then be wirelessly played from it through Sonos speakers like play 1/3/5 placed in other rooms. This assumes the presence of a stable home WiFi environment in your home.
Great thanks - and I’m assuming I can also stream music from Spotify into my existing Home Theater speakers using this same setup correct? Also, is the streaming only limited to the apps supported by the Sonos App, or could I also stream other audio files on my phone, or maybe audio from YouTube videos on my phone, etc?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great thanks - and I’m assuming I can also stream music from Spotify into my existing Home Theater speakers using this same setup correct? Also, is the streaming only limited to the apps supported by the Sonos App, or could I also stream other audio files on my phone, or maybe audio from YouTube videos on my phone, etc?

The existing Home Theatre speakers when connected as Kumar suggests will behave exactly as if they were Sonos speakers. So if you activate the Spotify service from within Sonos you will be able to play to those speakers. You can also use the Spotify app if you follow the instructions to link to your Sonos speakers.
Sonos can play some music files on your phone/tablet - but there are requirements for location/file format (Google will find it). No, Sonos does not play audio being played on apps on your phone like YouTube or iPlayer.

For YouTube watch it on your Smart TV
Thanks a lot. I've purchased the Connect, plus a Speaker to play in another room (for now). I'm wondering if Kumar's suggestion would work to actually play streaming into the receiver (if it's just connected to the output of the receiver). I've seen some recommendations of setup where the output of the turntable goes into the Line Input from the Connect, and then connecting the output from Sonos Connect to the Input of the AV Receiver. Will that work? If both approaches work, what are the pros and cons of each approach?
If the amp has more than one input source - as receivers usually will have - it makes sense to wire the TAPE OUT or any other analog audio line out to the line in jacks of the Connect, and the output of the Connect to either digital or analog inputs on the receiver. The former allows all receiver sources to be played via Connect Line In to other Sonos speakers. The latter allows streamed music that the Connect can access to be played via the receiver speakers as well as Sonos speakers.

Where the amp/receiver is used for just one source - a CD player for example - one needs to just replace the CDP with the Connect, leaving the Connect inputs unused or the CDP can then be wired to Connect inputs if CDs will still be played. Ditto with a turntable.

In both approaches with a receiver, there can be the sync issue caused by processing delays in both bits of kit. This does not matter if the speakers are in different rooms where sound will not cross over.

For a Connect wired into the inputs of a stereo amp, there usually will be no sync issue anywhere; for a receiver this usually needs the DSP to be bypassed by using the Stereo or Direct modes on the receiver.