UPDATES, UPDATES, UPDATES!!!

• 2 February 2018
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 2
STOP IT ALREADY WITH THE UPDATES! I have 5 systems and 19 devices. Constant updates make me hate this system. If you feel like you keep needing to fix what you messed up in the last software build then at least do it automatically at like 3am or something. It's annoying!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you seen their list of things to come this year. I would expect an update every month practically.

You can turn off auto updates in settings.

And I would out of precaution - reserve all your IP addresses in your router (that solves about 90% of update issues).
toooo many updates for what should be a simple system! Please find a way to reduce the #, or do them after midnight, automatically!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
toooo many updates for what should be a simple system! Please find a way to reduce the #, or do them after midnight, automatically!
Glad you asked. This update, 9.2 added automatic updates. Just go into settings with your mobile controller and you can tell your system to update automatically from now on!
but ... what about the desktop app?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I couldn't agree more. There seems to one every week. Every time I update it fails at least once Updates do NOT take a 2-3 minutes. STOP THE UPDATES!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
For "Update" read reduced fuctionality!
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Auto updates? You're stuffed if the mains power goes down during an update ...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Auto updates? You're stuffed if the mains power goes down during an update ...

Why would the probability of a mains failure be any lower if you initiated the update manually?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
One factor in certain locations can be local meteo conditions ...
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
So just don't enable auto-update and keep doing it manually?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
One factor in certain locations can be local meteo conditions ...

Auto-Updates have to be selected so if you live in an area where power cuts at night are common and you are able to reduce the chance of a power cut during an update by choosing, say, a time when the weather is good then you don't CHOOSE to enable auto-updates.

It's simply not a valid or credible nor even reasonable complaint
Yes, good advice, the next time Dr Frankenstein comes to town, I will try to remember to turn off the auto-update feature on my Sonos System..!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Whats the best option then? Buy a UPS or buy a mobile thingy to switch off updates, given the option is not available on the desktop? This new 9.2 system hasn't really been thought through, in my humble opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Whats the best option then? Buy a UPS or buy a mobile thingy to switch off updates, given the option is not available on the desktop? This new 9.2 system hasn't really been thought through, in my humble opinion.

The new update makes NO difference whatsoever in how a new update is delivered. The ability or otherwise to change that setting in the desktop controller is entirely irrelevant.

If you NOW have some kind of issue with a possible power cut during an update then you've ALWAYS had that issue and this update has changed that in no way whatsoever.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Okay - point taken! :8
Castalla

I can’t recall if the auto-update option was enabled by default, but I’m reasonably sure it was switched off and that I had to enable it and set a period for when to do the auto-updates.. so if you only have a windows controller, then I guess you won’t need to worry about it anyway.

I understand if an update fails it should try again ... but there is probably a very (very) narrow window when a power outage would affect the update in any case ...and that kind of thing can happen even during a manual update.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Thanks for the detail ! I still don't like the funereal black, though!
STOP IT ALREADY WITH THE UPDATES! I have 5 systems and 19 devices. Constant updates make me hate this system. If you feel like you keep needing to fix what you messed up in the last software build then at least do it automatically at like 3am or something. It's annoying!
God these updates are soooooooo annoying!!
Im really fed up with this system. Who believes this is a scam to maintain contact with you to sell more product. I would never have bought this product if i known they did weekly updates. Even apple doesnt update the phone system as much.
I will never recommend anyone to get Sonos
Weekly?

Sonos 9.0 - Jul 15, 2018

Sonos 9.1 - Sep 4, 2018

Sonos 9.2 - Oct 9, 2018

Sonos 9.3 - Nov 28, 2018

Methinks thou doth protest too much. Also, you do know you can turn them off?

Who believes this is a scam to maintain contact with you to sell more product.

How exactly would such a scam work?
God these updates are soooooooo annoying!!
Im really fed up with this system. Who believes this is a scam to maintain contact with you to sell more product. I would never have bought this product if i known they did weekly updates. Even apple doesnt update the phone system as much.
I will never recommend anyone to get Sonos

Enable automatic updates:

To turn on automatic updates, use your iOS or Android device and tap the More tab > Settings > System Updates and switch on Automatic Updates. By default, your Sonos system will try to update during the Overnight setting, which is between 2:00am and 4:00am. However, if there is music or TV audio playing, or an alarm scheduled during this period, the update will be postponed until the next available update window.

You can also schedule when you prefer the automatic update to be performed by tapping on Scheduled and selecting one of the following two-hour periods.

Morning: 5:00am-7:00am
Afternoon: 12:00pm-2:00pm
Evening: 5:00pm-7:00pm
Overnight: 2:00am-4:00am

Please note that this feature will update your Sonos players only. You may still be prompted to update your Sonos app if the app store on your device did not automatically update it already.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/225?language=en_US

Take it or put it on sale.