Turntables for the everyday person: Are they better with or without a built-in preamp?

• 7 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7

This is strictly my opinion based upon my listening experience. I do not work for the companies whose products are mentioned nor do I receive any monetary compensation or gifts. Although, if a publicly traded company said company may be part of my stock port-folio.

I've lived with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable in Black (Sonos Edition) mated to a Sonos Amp, Sonos Sub and Definitive Technology D7 speakers w/off-set tweeters ($499.99/Pair) for two years. Total package cost $2696.99. Granted some high-end turntables start at $1200 on the low-end...so in the grand scheme of things my package is modest at best.

However, that’s not the point of this post. The question to debate is...should you be satisfied with a turntable that has a built-in Preamp or one that requires a separate (outboard) Preamp. Luckily the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable in Black (Sonos Edition) allows you to use Line-in with it’s built-in Preamp or switch to Phono and by pass it to use your own (separate) Preamp. 

The traditional line of thought for opting for a separate Preamp is typically better components and a device designed for one specific purpose that delivers improved sonics for vinyl. Well, I decided to test that line of thinking and purchased a Cambridge ALVA DUO ($299) see it here. There are Preamps that cost less and those that cost more. However, the reviews of the Cambridge Alva Duo were 4 or 4+ stars out of 5 by both professional and consumer reviewers.

Long story short the listening experience with my vinyl collection is much improved. Just a little food for thought in case you might be considering (or wondering) the same. The on-line retailer from whom I purchased the preamp has a great return policy so I was not concerned with being stuck with a product I didn’t want.

Oh..BTW the signal passed from your turntable is analog; so don’t use cheap RCA to RCA cables. A good set of left/right cables will typically start around $50 for 1 meter (3.3 ft). AudioQuest (IMO) makes excellent consumer grade cables. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: “Long story short the listening experience with my vinyl collection is much improved. “ 

In what way is the listening experience better?

Userlevel 7

@106rallye 

As I said at the beginning it’s my opinion. Your experience may be different. However, to your question… The overall clarity is improved. The low end has more punch. Highs are more defined or sharper if you will. Stereo separation is wider. 

My main genre is smooth jazz. These are albums I’ve collected over the years and some re-releases of date. Granted all the components make a difference versus what I had 40 years ago. But as I said I’ve lived with the current setup for two years so I’m not comparing system tech of today with yesteryears. 

To my EAR there is an overall sonic improvement using the outboard preamp versus the built-in. To be honest the perceived improvements are not in your face…so to speak. They are subtle; but nevertheless present. 

Hope this clarifies things for you 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m past using vinyl myself but I used to have a very nice collection and gear. With that in mind…

I have never been fond of built-in phono pre-amps, even the ones in many receivers are not as good as they should be given the units cost. A stand alone pre-amp gives you the chance to buy something designed specifically for that job and not just added in to another piece of gear. You will also often be given the option of selecting your cartridge type easily, some receivers offer this but the switch or even changing the input jacks can be a PITA.

Given a quality turntable, to include the internal power and signal wiring, you have a good base to start from. Add in a good quality cartridge properly mounted and you are going from the vinyl to an electrical signal at the phono’s out ports as cleanly as possible.

As was mentioned good quality cables from the phono to the pre-amp are essential. Often a pre-amp will let you use shorter cables too. That phono out is the lowest level signal your external wiring has to carry, any noise or distortion will both be further amplified in the phono pre-amp but it will be processed by the RIAA equalization which can further distort the sound. This is even more important if you are using an MC Moving Coil cartridge as the levels are lower than for an MM Moving Magnet one.

While there are lots of drawbacks to a MC cartridge none of them are sound related. Back while my ears still worked well they were my first choice.