Answered

Turntable + TV + Beam

• 27 August 2018
  • 7 replies

This seems plausible to me, but I haven’t seen any clear confirmation. Does it make sense that a turntable to a pre-amp to a television could play through a Beam?

(I understand it might not make acoustic sense, but I’m contemplating buying a beam to replace my old receiver in a smaller room)
icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 August 2018, 17:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The TV would need to have audio only input(s), which are rare in my experience.
Oh right - I’m guessing newer TV’s will be ditching RCA, so I may find myself hamstrung in the future?
Well most TVs never had RCA inputs, only outputs. You would need a Sonos device with RCA inputs, like a Connect, Connect:Amp or Play:5.
TV's used to have component inputs, which was 5 RCA jacks (Y, Pb, Pr, Audio L and Audio R, if memory serves). Would that be acceptable? Although I guess it would depend on the TV as to whether you could select that input without a video input.

I'm certainly with jgatie, this is a challenge.
I have an LG TV with a component input, similar to the example in the attached image (just one I got from google images). I just dashed upstairs and got a red/white audio cable that links to a 3.5mm adapter. I just plugged the cable (red/white) into the TV and I put the 3.5mm plug into the headphone socket of my iPad and that plays out to the Beam with no problems, inferring a turntable with pre-amp would work in such a setup.

Also I have a 'component to scart' adapter too somewhere, so that may work also... not that I will go looking for that, as I could be looking for it all day.
In fact, just by sheer luck, I found it ... see attached. Sorry it’s a little dusty, but this should work too, I think.
I should add that my TV is old and if I’m not mistaken, some Samsung TV's disable the audio throughput on their component-in ports if there is no video stream included. Just thought that was worth mentioning.