Answered

tight on space need surround sound option

• 22 January 2024
  • 9 replies

I do not have room to put a sound bar under my TV I do have bookshelves on both sides of the TV. Are there any Sonos options that I could use bookshelves without a center sound bar?  What system would you suggest for this room??  

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 January 2024, 13:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

SONOS AMP will connect to your TV’s HDMI-eARC port and support your two passive front speakers. You can add a SUB and surround speakers. A second AMP will drive passive surrounds, or you can use SONOS active speakers, such as a pair of ERA 300.

Edit: Correction: ERA 300 cannot be used as surrounds with AMP in the front. (Thanks @Ken_Griffiths )

Are you not able to adjust the TV up an inch or two on its holding bracket? I’m thinking that would be a quick solution as you have plenty of space above. This link shows the benefits of using the various Sonos soundbars…

If not, the answer is to use a Sonos Amp and 3rd party bookshelf speakers for the front TV Home Theatre channels - the centre channel is a phantom channel, but works well, then use two Era-100s for rear surrounds and a Sonos Sub. That will provide you with a 5.1 audio HT setup. See these links for further information…

Thank you..  In the case of the 300’s how do the pair with the TV?  Is it wireless only? Does the audio sync up with the picture perfectly?  

The tv is a Samsung frame I will be adding the frame around it.  It’s hard to see in the picture but the top row of bricks protrude.  Thank you for the advice I will read through the links.  

Just to quickly mention the Era-300s are not compatible with the Sonos Amp - they can only be used with the Sonos Arc, or Beam 2, in a Home Theatre setup. 

I would maybe go for the Era 100s and ‘yes’ they connect wirelessly to the Amp over their built-in 5Ghz ad-hoc wireless connection and will play both music and TV audio in sync.

It’s usually best to locate the Amp and Era speakers in the same physical room to aid their wireless connection.

As @buzz mentions you can use a second Amp (instead of the Era speakers) with Sonos architectural (in-wall), or 3rd party, speakers for the rear surround channels and that Amp will communicate wirelessly to the front Amp and will also play in perfect sync.

Or.. if you prefer much larger speakers for your rear surrounds and for music audio to fill the room, there is also the Sonos Five speakers. See this link for those…

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/guides/five

Thank you for the replies Ken this is a huge help!!  I plan on using a latest model Apple TV with this setup. Would it go Apple TV to Samsung frame via hdmi arc then to the amp via HDMI?  Also if I get 2 ERA100’s and an Amp would it still be possible to hardwire 2 3rd party speakers with one amp or is the amp’s limit 2 speakers regardless of connection?  

Thank you for the replies Ken this is a huge help!!  I plan on using a latest model Apple TV with this setup. Would it go Apple TV to Samsung frame via hdmi arc then to the amp via HDMI?  Also if I get 2 ERA100’s and an Amp would it still be possible to hardwire 2 3rd party speakers with one amp or is the amp’s limit 2 speakers regardless of connection?  

The Apple TV goes into any TV HDMI input - the Amp (for front channels) goes into the TV’s HDMI-ARC (audio return channel) port - the TV outputs audio to the Amp.

With regards to the quantity of speakers you can connect to the Amp, see the below extract taken from its user guide…

So ‘yes’ you can have two ‘pairs’ of 8 ohm speakers, but perhaps watch you do not knock the front/rear TV audio out of kilter (balance) by having 4 speakers playing the front channel audio and only two speakers playing rear channels.