Third party subwoofer with sonos Connect or Port

• 11 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello everybody,

I am currently upgrading my TV & Music setup with an ARC, which gives me some headache in regards to the surround limitations that come with the ARC. I hope that you guys can help me with your inputs on the options I have to make things work again.

As info, I am by no means “audiophile”, but of course appreciate good sound quality.

My setup currently currently consists of:

• Sonos ARC
  • Sonos AMP
    • connected to 2  3rd party rear speakers (Dali Zensor 3)
    • connected to 3rd party active subwoofer (Dali Sub E-12F / RCA connections)
    • connected to record player

As a consequence of the subwoofer port and line-in being disabled, the subwoofer and record player are currently not in the system. However, i would love to find a (preferably cheap) way of including both. My options are:

• Buy a 2.gen connect / port and plug-inthe subwoofer to the audio-out channel.
    • Would that be possible to get into the same room as the ARC and AMP?
    • Will the sound quality of the sub and the other speakers be any good with that solution? With the system not recognizing it as a subwoofer, but only a speaker, I am afraid this will give a moody sond.
    • Has anybody any experience with the delay for this solution?

• Buy another Sonos AMP only for the subwoofer & record player
    • Quite an expensive solution, but would that give me better possibilities to include this extra AMP into the same room as the ARC and first AMP and thereby create a better sound?

• Ditch the 3rd party active subwoofer and buy a Sonos SUB
    • I more like my current subwoofer to the Sonos SUB, and this would not even solve the problem with the record player, which would need an extra connect/port.

Please let me know your input and experience with similar setups. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Grouping a Port/Amp/Connect with the Arc won’t work because there is a 75 ms delay when playing TV sources to grouped rooms.  In order to sync with the video, the Sonos Sub (and surrounds) connect to the Arc/Beam over a private 5 GHz connection which is specifically configured for low latency to products in the same room.  Grouped rooms need to be buffered due to the difficulty of connections which have to go through walls/floors, thus they are 2.4 GHz and require a larger buffer.