Answered

Surround Sound Recommendations

• 4 November 2020
  • 10 replies

I need advice for getting Sonos surround sound.  I am interested in buying an ARC and would like to run 2 two Sonos 1’s as my rear speakers.  I know with older S1’s you need the connect.  Is the same true of the Gen 3’s?  

I am also thinking I may need/want to get a new tv which would likely have Bluetooth connectivity.  Is that the best way to connect to surround sound?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 November 2020, 15:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The Arc works with the Sonos Ones without any additional equipment needed. 

The only Sonos device which has Bluetooth connectivity is the Sonos Move. The Sonos Arc would connect to a TV with either HDMI ARC or eARC, and not Bluetooth. 

The Arc works with the Sonos Ones without any additional equipment needed. 

The only Sonos device which has Bluetooth connectivity is the Sonos Move. The Sonos Arc would connect to a TV with either HDMI ARC or eARC, and not Bluetooth. 

Ok so any Sonos ones or does it need to be Gen 3?

I keep forgetting that about the bluetooth.  I wish they would start building that into all of their speakers.  

I would probably just go hdmi and save the $400 on the eARC (ouch).  

Last question the arc connects to the tv via hdmi is there something that needs to connect to the S1’s so they work in unison for tv surround?  

My Arc works with PLAY:1s, the original version of that style of speaker. Any Pair of Sonos speakers, except the first Gen PLAY:5 and the Sonos Move, would be fine, including any version of the Sonos One.

The connection between the Arc and the surround speakers is wireless, all you need is a power socket to plug them in. 

Note that using HDMI ARC restricts you to Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus, whereas eARC allows Atmos via TrueHD (think Apple TV and the Apple apps), and would certainly be more future proof. 

My Arc works with PLAY:1s, the original version of that style of speaker. Any Pair of Sonos speakers, except the first Gen PLAY:5 and the Sonos Move, would be fine, including any version of the Sonos One.

The connection between the Arc and the surround speakers is wireless, all you need is a power socket to plug them in. 

Note that using HDMI ARC restricts you to Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus, whereas eARC allows Atmos via TrueHD (think Apple TV and the Apple apps), and would certainly be more future proof. 

Thank you for the response.  To summarize-It sounds like the eARC is the way to go coupled with the Sonos Arc.   The S1 generation does not matter.  It also sounds like updating my tv is not important.  This set up should work with any tv with a HDMI port.

Did I miss anything?

Yes. eARC does not work with any TV.  Just like HDMI ARC, it needs to have the capability built in to the TV set when purchased.

Or, with greater complexity, you could go with an external device such as the HDFury Arcana, as discussed at length here.

So I should be looking for a tv that has eARC?  I am not seeing that in any of the tv’s I am looking at.

Yes, you should.

You might save a bit of cash by using One SLs rather than Ones.  The only difference is voice control and that is disabled on the surrounds anyway when used with the Arc.

You might save a bit of cash by using One SLs rather than Ones.  The only difference is voice control and that is disabled on the surrounds anyway when used with the Arc.

This is off topic but the whole google assistant/alexa thing is not something I am interested in anyway.  I have 2 speakers that have it now-Move and S1 and do not use it.  I feel like they are just spying on me.

I might be getting old.  :(

This is off topic but the whole google assistant/alexa thing is not something I am interested in anyway.  I have 2 speakers that have it now-Move and S1 and do not use it.  I feel like they are just spying on me.

I might be getting old.  :(

I think it’s a defensible view whatever one’s age.  But that just reinforces my suggestion that you buy the non-voice-controlled SL.  You can, of course, disable the microphones on Sonos voice-controlled speakers and should do so if you object to being listened to.  Not using the voice control is not sufficient to prevent ‘spying’.