Sub for apartment? Gen 3, mini or wait?

• 22 November 2022
  • 9 replies

I live in a top floor of an apartment with so-so soundproofing. Not great but not paper either. I’ve installed a little of my own soundproofing. I largely use my system for movies and games.  It consists of two One SL surrounds and an Arc. 
So my question is, would it even be worth it to get a sub? If so, would a Gen 3 or mini do me better in the context of apartment listening? I wouldn’t be opposed to buying a mat to put under it. Or do I just wait until I’m hypothetically in a house. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The mini is designed for smaller rooms, so it’s really a matter of room size more than anything else. Most likely the Mini since most apartment rooms are smaller.  Whichever one you choose, you can turn down the subs volume relative to the Arc in configuration. 

You could go with a mat if you think that will help, but  I have both subs and neither has really vibrated through the walls via carpet or tile that I can tell. 

Is the sound leak through the walls or floor?

For reference the front room is “open plan” kitchen and living room. About 21W X 13L with a 9.5’ height. 

Then I would go with the full sub Gen 3, right now since it’s 20% off.  You can return it if you feel it’s too much.

I live under a Sonos user in a converted flat in a block.  I’ve installed Noiseblock under the floor coverings in my neighbours flat and 3k on sound proofing in my own flat lounge area.  That’s 4500 all up. Sonos are a mare. The frequency goes straight through stud walls and ceilings. It helped when I gave her some HD rubber matting but she kept whacking it up until after months of it I just said the bottom line. 

Honestly I hear the same thing seeping into convos here about trying to do the right thing and it’s really stressful living under these bombs. Living in flats carries it’s drawbacks but if we disregard the guys next to the system then it just shows it for what it is: great in gyms, and houses. Complete HF in flats.

She moved out 2 weeks ago. Blisssss.

It’s difficult to fully block low frequencies. Consider the poor recording studio in a large city. It needs to schedule its recording sessions to avoid subway traffic. The rich studios can block the low frequencies, but it is very expensive.

Agreed. yep I got so involved in researching available materials I could gain a Phd!! But here’s a couple of things I did.

Installed ceiling noise buffer. 

MuteMat® 2 Soundproofing Underlay - 2 layers sandwiched between this beam and board ceiling panel. Worked pretty well looks cool too.

A few guitars there. It reminded me of my Nephews Guitar Shop, which he opened recently... 😁

They have a couple of rooms for their daily guitar lessons etc. I’m not sure what they use for sound-proofing, but I’ll ask when I next pop-in.

yEAH i’VE GOT AN AMP THAT COULD FILL A STADIUM AND A FEW BLOCKS BUT KEEP IT REAAAAAL LOW!! Oooops Cap locks off