Answered

Stereo Paired Move vs Play 5.

• 7 January 2020
  • 9 replies

I haven’t seen anything on the community about the sound quality of two moves being used in a stereo pair and would like to know how they pair matches up to a play:5. I recently purchased two One SLs as a stereo pair and I love how the stereo separation sounds. I’m looking to expand my system to add speakers to my bedroom and main room of my apartment. 

My options as of now are either are getting a stereo pair of Sonos moves to move between the two rooms as needed or to get a play:5 for the main room and the move for my bedroom and to bring out as needed. I definitely want to get one move to use as an outdoor speaker as needed.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 January 2020, 19:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I’d recommend  doing this in stages.  First get a single Sonos Move.  Setup and try in both  rooms plus outside for a week or two.  How does it sound compared to your pair of SLs?  Do you think you’d be ok with moving a pair Moves around a regular basis instead of a single?

I’m guessing that after that stage, you’ll be fine with a single Move for one of your rooms and outside, and then want to go for a single Play:5 for the other room….or maybe save a little money and get a second pair of SLs.

You can always buy more Sonos later on as your needs change and budget grows.

I personally don’t have any play:5s.  Every room that’s large enough for them to make sense also has  TV in it, so I’ve used a Beam or Playbar instead (plus sub and surrounds).  I also have a single Move.  A pair isn’t really needed for the room it sits in, and I don’t know that I really want to carry 2 Moves around when it leaves the house for BT mode.

Great advice, I picked up a Sonos move today and I’m very surprised with how good it sounds and how it really can fill each room in my apartment. I think a second stereo-paired move just might be over kill and as you mentioned it would be more complicated to haul around. For now I’m just going to stick with the single move speaker and save the money instead of adding another move or a play:5. 

Do you think you’d be ok with moving a pair Moves around a regular basis instead of a single?

Digressing a little, my travel speaker is a pair of Minirigs, that play as a stereo pair. If I carry/power up just the master unit, it plays mono. The second speaker automatically stereo pairs with the master, if powered up in range of the master.

Of course, the Minirigs are a lot smaller, and therefore not a challenge to carry the pair, but something that Sonos might think of doing even so.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I bought my move for the garden, mainly for the weatherproofing, but also for the battery, as I didn’t want to run new power lines.

I find that the single move is great, but, compared to my old set of UE booms ( i can buy 4 booms for the same price), the sound is not as fulfilling. When you get sound from 3 directions or 4, it really is literally more immersive.

But the booms cut out at times, Bluetooth vs wifi is not a contest, hence the move.

But one move, does not sound anywhere as good as two booms with a mega boom.

I use one mega boom for bass, and this, with another two booms, has a sound that I prefer.

I wanted to know how two Moves paired would sound, does anyone have any experience?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @BxVelocity.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I can say I’m amazed by the performance of the Sonos: move especially with the sound quality.

We don't have a pair of Sonos move but some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this.

It’s also ultra-durable. With a tough outer shell and IP56 rating, Sonos Move is built to withstand falls, bumps, moisture, dust, UV rays, and extreme temperatures.

Just don’t leave it out in a soaking rainstorm, and remember that the charging base that’s included is for indoor use only.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks, Mark!

I already have one Move. It sounds great, much clearer and better bass than all my UE booms.

However, I find that 2 booms with a third megaboom provide a more immersive experience and was wondering if anyone has used two moves outdoors?

I'm going to bite the bullet and order one more , in all probability, but would like to know if anyone has used two paired in stereo, on WiFi. It's just that two will cost me @ 900$ including taxes, so that's a lot of money.

Can't you get one and return if it does not meet expectations?

Also, try to use them as independent but grouped speakers. That often does a better job of delivering the immersive experience outdoors. Or even indoors in a largish space.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks, Kumar, that's the plan now. It's just that I'd rather have more information before I bought the second since the costs aren't exactly on the low end...

The generous Sonos return window is meant to be used for such situations. No amount of information can be as good as a test at home, for products at these price points.